Is Memorex CD-R media any good & whos makes them please?

Is Memorex CD-R media any good & whos makes them please? Also what color is the dye? Want to make sure i have the dye color right real quick. Blue is the worst color dye, Green is next, then silver is better, and gold is the best correct?

Well, I am assuming they were made fairly recently, if that is true, they will have a light green die, and they are made by CMC. CMC has a bad record for compatibility with readers and reliability. I would strongly advise that you aviod these CD-Rs, unless you are looking for something to use for short-term storage like drivers or games. Just don’t put all your family photos on them! For a high quality disc, I would reccomend either Princo or Taiyo Yuden (it is my understanding that they Taiyo Yuden can be had fairly cheap from a Fry’s Electronics, but I can’t verify that, as I live nowhere near one. Princo is all over the internet, and so is taiyo so you shouldn’t have any trouble at all finding them. For my own personal use, I use Princo, as I have found them to have the best compatibility with various low end and old CD-ROM drives, but TY is also very good. Also, the silver dye means nothing, I have seen CD-Rs of VERY poor quality that had silver dye, and in fact, i think all princo and taiyo yuden use green dye, and they work quite well. If you have any further questions, reply back and I will do my best to answer them. :slight_smile:

Too bad Memorex CD-Rs are not good :frowning: I found a good deal on 100 pack of them. Guess thats why they are on sale by every store this week. Too bad. :frowning:

Most Memorex seem to be bad, but a few of them were made by TY. I have such a spindle. It was a 32x rated spindle with the screw on top. Memorex seems to be mostly CMC, but if you’re lucky you can find TY in some spindles…

I too had one of the TY memorex, but only one. A CD my dad made for me, so I don’t know when or where he bought it…

Although i’ve read that the European ones are made by Ritek and some by Prodisc so I guess it all depends on the region of the world you are in. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by imtim83
[B]Is Memorex CD-R media any good & whos makes them please? Also what color is the dye? Want to make sure i have the dye color right real quick. Blue is the worst color dye, Green is next, then silver is better, and gold is the best correct?

INCORRECT. it makes no difference what dye colour, it depends who makes it. eg. Verbatim make dark blue cdrs and they are very good quality.

Heres the companies Memorex Uses to make their CD-R’s…

1. Tayio Yuden (The best ones and they are getting easier to find - look for the screw-on lid for the 50 packs, opaque plastic shrinkwrap and “Made in Japan” on the label.) GET THESE!! :bigsmile:

(Note: These others come with a paper label and say “Made in Taiwain” on the packaging…)

1. Prodisc (Excellent quality CD-R’s but harder to find)

2. Ritek (The yellow ink ones are very good, havent had any trouble with them and I have left them in my car in 100 degree summer temps (in a cheap CD zipper case!)

3. Postech (green/blue ink… there seems to be a lot of 100 packs with these - usually you can ID them by a number printed Horizontally across the clear center of the CD-R. OK Quality CD-Rs, I used a truckload of 16X Prime Peripherals with no problems)

4. CMC (the worst quality - and there seems to be more of these where I live than anything else!)

Anyone else?

I have also seen some Memorex 24X CD-Rs made by Moser Baer, India (MBI). Just bought a spindle of Memorex, 40X, made by Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs for less than $1 after price matching and rebate, it just shows that Memorex CD-Rs can be anything.

Here is a good summary of different dye types and colors, and the current trend is that most manufacturers are moving toward phthalocyanine except for Taiyo Yuden and Lead Data, because it has better resistence to the sunlight.

Just got back from Bestbuy. He is right about the Memorex that say that they are made in Japan, they are taiyo yuden. After mail-in rebate, they are going to cost me $9.99 ($30 without). even 30 is a good deal for a 100 pack of 40x taiyo. Thanks for telling that or I would have never even looked twice at them.

What about the ones at target for $19.77 i believe?
Are they TY CD-R media?

Also will the ones from Bestbuy that should be TY will they burn at 24x and will i beable to read them after i burn them at 24x fine? The bestbuy ad i see says they are 16x CD-RS. Not 40x.
So i guess the ad could be wrong maybe.

Thanks

If your local Best Buy has the Memorex made by TY (32X or 40X) CD-Rs, then read this link to find out how to get them for free after price matching and rebate plus tax.

To avoid the hassle as mentioned, first buy the discs and get the rebate form and receipt, then go to the customer service counter for price matching with Target’s flyer.

As always, your mileage may vary.

:wink: target, this last week, had fuji/ty 50 spindles for 12.77:D i bought 4 spindles. all are ty, all rated at 40x, and all burn at 48x with no errors on my liteon 48125w. love this burner:cool: if it has the spin on top, it’s probably ty, no matter what the package says.:stuck_out_tongue:

I picked up a spindle of 32X Memorex today made by TY. They are on sale at RadioShack here in Canada. Some of the spindles have a black screw-on top and are TY manufactured while others do not have the screw-on top and are probably made by some other cheaper company.:cool:

My experience with the 32x rated TYs is that they only burn at 40 (this is what SmartBurn says). The 40x rated ones burn fine at 48 with few or no C2 errors (few being 1 or 2).

Any of ya’ll tried the black memorex 40X made by ritek?

They worked really well for me using plextor 40/12/40A.:o

Best rule for Memorex, buy if it says “Made in Japan”, gamble
if it says anything else. If it isn’t Japanese, don’t use it long term
storage, like photos or even OS’s; just use it for audio or transfers
of software or data to friends.

Watch out with Memorex !

About a month ago I bought some Memorex CDs which gave
me excellent results (Ritek Type 7, no c2 errors at all).
These were 24x 700 MB CDs in slim jewel cases.

Last week I bought a 50 piece Memorex CD spindle (17 euro
for 50 discs) hoping to get the same quality CDs.
The label on the spindle looks exactly the same as the label on
the jewel case CDs, but they turned out to be from a different
manufacturer (CMC Magnetics :frowning: ).

Results: lots of c2 errors (on more than 15 % of all sectors) and
quite often the discs are simply not readable at all !
(recorded them at 2x speed)

Something strange I’ve noticed : the discs in the spindle have a
terrible smell (like “burned” :slight_smile: !!

I’m not sure that cmc in general is bad, they just vary a LOT! I have some CMC made mediapro that work very well, but I have had cmc made memorex that were horrid.

I’m not sure that cmc in general is bad, they just vary a LOT! I have some CMC made mediapro that work very well, but I have had cmc made memorex that were horrid.