Is LiteOn Dead? My experience with the iHAS524-T98 A

vbimport

That’s the question I’m asking. I am an owner of the LiteOn iHAS524-T98 A which I have since 2010 and I love that drive, especially the LabelTag feature. Unfortunately this model seems to be discontinued, and some weeks ago I had the unfortunate event of having a CD-R explode inside the unit. Don’t ask me why, but it did exploded while using the SmartErase feature. Well, after opening the drive and take out all of the shattered plastic inside, it happened that the laser went bad after I put a CD and DVD inside. At first I saw the iHAS124 was still being sold, but unfortunately this isn’t an acceptable solution since my drive is an A revision and the 124 drive is already in its E revision, so no crossflash seems to be possible. Luckily, after searching I found out the laser pickup unit so I went and purchased it. Took 2 weeks to arrive, but after it was here I replaced the drive laser and I gave it life again. I just hope my iHAS524 don’t die or else I will loose the LabelTag feature for good.

Here I post some screenshots of the drive internals for those interested:

Drive with the bad laser

Laser I got at AliExpress:

To the left, the bad laser. To the right, the brand-new laser:

Fixed drive :clap: :

Where did you get the new laser?

I got it here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Replacement-Laser-Len-For-LITEON-IHAS524-B-Record-Laser-Assy-IHAS524B-Optical-Pickup-IHAS524-Laser-Head/32381051412.html

Mounting it was easy and it doesn’t have a solder point so it was as simple as taking out the damaged laser and inserting the new laser. That laser is marketed for the B revision, but I found out the seller sells the same laser for the iHAS324 which makes me believe this kind of laser is used in all the iHASx24 series.

B drives use SF-DS1XD, A drives use SF-DS19L. These pickups are interchangeable with some notes - DS19L works decent in B drives, but DS1XD produces not very good burns in A drives. OPU you have ordered is SF-DS1XD - drives which use it are iHASx24 B, iHAPx22 W, AD-7260S and 1st rev. AD-7280S. As for SF-DS19L, its full analog is SF-DS19S, which can be found in iHASx24 Y and AD-7240S. I advice you to get calibration data from your new OPU and add it in your drive’s EEPROM - it should make the drive burn better with this pickup.

Thank you for the information. That explains why it looks a little different from the A model laser. Well, so far it has worked great, all features works (SmartErase, LabelTag), no coaster so far, using of course Verbatim and Sony media. I did had a coaster but it was my fault due to me overspeeding a 4x DVD to 8x which resulted in an unreadable disc. I’m gonna do some quality tests on the burned DVD when I get home but so far it has been reliable, using the BL2U firmware, with Over Speed, Force Hyper Tuning and Online Hyper Tuning enabled.

OK here are the test results of 2 DVD I burned with the Rev. B Optical Pickup Unit on my drive at 20x:

This one is incomplete due to the disc having a LabelTag label, which makes the test to fail at the point where the session 1 finishes:

[QUOTE=moisesmcardona;2759861]I got it here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Replacement-Laser-Len-For-LITEON-IHAS524-B-Record-Laser-Assy-IHAS524B-Optical-Pickup-IHAS524-Laser-Head/32381051412.html

Mounting it was easy and it doesn’t have a solder point so it was as simple as taking out the damaged laser and inserting the new laser. That laser is marketed for the B revision, but I found out the seller sells the same laser for the iHAS324 which makes me believe this kind of laser is used in all the iHASx24 series.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the link.