I recently applied the gsc2 firmware to my 451@851 and to my surprise I was now able to succesfully burn (and verify) some old cheap mirror disc I had. Older firmwares would not complete the verify phase. I could even burn the disc at 8x !!!
I then did a Kprobe scan and expected PI to be much above 200 because of the cheap quality disc. But it looks like the below (burned at 8x ). I was very happy.
Now, I have used up all my Mirror disc and yesterday I wanted to watch a backedup movie (a Mirror disc) and during playback it would skip and freeze. About halfway into the movie the dvd player stopped responding. I put the disc into the liteon 851 and tried to copy the data but I could not. Cyclic redundance check error. I checked the disc: no scratches or fingerprints etc. I redid the Kprobe and the scan was still great.
Now, I’m checking the rest of the discs. I know some data has been lost (2 discs so far).
I don’t trust Kprobe anymore.