Is K-Probe Consistent or not?

Some guy previously told that K-Probe was not consistent mostly.

That guy(forgot his nick :slight_smile: )also showed a scan of his media with
another program and scan results were different from the ones in K-probe.

What do you think ?

Is K-Probe Reliable ?

Scanning programs are neither “accurate” nor “inaccurate”., They do nothing but display what the drive is reporting. As long as they show adequate sampling rates, the results are reliable. Suggest you try reading some of the threads on this topic.

Hi there,

I have used both Kprobe 2.x.x and Nero CD [DVD] Speed 3.xx for PI/PIF measures and they are consistent, as far as your ‘surrounding’ conditions are stable enough.

What are those conditions ? I would like to see a list, so I begin showing a few items I consider important, based on common sense and my own experience witl Liteon units (LDW-811s and 5232K ‘combo’), when scanning PI/PIF:

• OS (Win9x versus Win2k versus WinXP; service pack is relevant)
  • CPU / System load (other running processes or hidden services)
  • Other heavy I/O applications running (e.g. your ADSL / Internet connection)
  • Hardware: IDE bus sharing, PCI sharing (for IDE controllers), HD / DMA, etc
  • Temperature of your whole system, specially your DVD burner
  • Version of scan program (e.g. Kprobe 2.4.2, versus older versions)
  • Sure there are more…

Two examples:
(1) If you decide to scan PI/PIF under old OS Win98se / Me, and there is non-negligible CPU load (due to other running processes) you happily (and erroneously) will get [very] low PI/PIF values. Wise guys would take note of the varying sampling rate (90000 - 130000 seems to be a good range for a whole disc, but I’m not the expert…). Win2k/XP are more stable under these conditions.

(2) Older version of Kprobe permitted ‘real time’ display/sampling, but the results were completely false [very low PI/PIF, very low sampling]. A lots of scans have been shown in forums, but the sampling values are not, so their ‘reliability’ depends on the… user.

As a rule, those conditions (sampling rate, OS, etc) should be always shown.

Hope this helps

Just an additional note, regarding rdgrimes’s one:

…display what the drive is reporting”. Yes the drive report, but it’s important what your whole system (IDE level of occupation, CPU load, speed, …) PERMIT that drive to REPORT. Maybe the drive WANT to tell [report] a lot, but your bottlenecked system could deter a more complete reporting… Do I transmit the idea ? :wink: