Is it XP or my CD-ROM thats bad?

vbimport

Hi everyone, I came across this site just half an hour ago, and I hope you wizards out there can help me! :slight_smile:
I was installing simcity4 on my comp from an LG SCSI CD-ROM drive, when the installation just stopped saying "error moving file from drive "
and then I found the CD-ROM drive had just disappeared from my computer and even device manager…
the drivereturns on restarting the comp, but the disc always shows the error on installation… however the same disc works on the comp from where it was written!
I tried reinstalling XP but it doesnt help, what could be wrong???
please help, Ive been waiting ages to check out this game!!!

hi samsahay welcome to cdfreaks :),
i suspect it is nether xp or your cd rom thats bad, but the disk itself. is it just simcity 4 that doesnt work in the drive or will no games work? if its a copy i suggest making a new copy from the original. by “disc works in the comp it was written” in do you mean that it will install or play from the working comp. if it will play it may be partualy damaged in the install part of the disk, i suggest you try installing it from the comp it will work in. if the same error happens on both comps then the disk is bad and you will need to make a new copy from the original. or alternitavly you could install from the original and play from the copy. also what program was used to copy it, sim city is safedisk 2.8 so it should have been fairly easy to copy. email/post on forum me for more help, ben :slight_smile:

thanks ben,
actualy the same disc that doesn’t work in my comp works just fine on the comp from which it was written…
the disk was written directly from the original n then it worked- he installed the game on his comp from my disc- but it refuses to instal in my comp with the error msg i mentioned!
my CD drive plays all other CDs with no prob.
I have paid money for the disc so that guy says it might be a prob with my drive. could it be a driver prob.? please advise

the program used to burn the disc was nero

if you bougth the game as you say u say “i paid money for the disk” i guess you bought the original. will the game install from the original.

no the cd is not original…basically its a cd that istalls on another computer but not on mine, tho my cd-rom drive plays all other cds ok!
and i noticed that my cd-rom drive icon disapeared today even without using it… jes in th middle of some other work, my net connection stalled, n then th cd-rom drive icon disapeared… I dunno what is goin nuts, any sugestions??

do you have virus protection, if so do a scan as this sounds sussspicios…

just my luck, my norton 2003 is incompatible with XP…n I can’t revert to win98 bcos 2 of my partitions are in NTFS format…but why is it that only this disk doesn’t instal while other games do, Could it be a driver problem…compatibility or corruption ,etc…?

just my luck, my norton 2003 is incompatible with XP…n I can’t revert to win98 bcos 2 of my partitions are in NTFS format…but why is it that only this disk doesn’t instal while other games do, Could it be a driver problem…compatibility or corruption ,etc…?

Sounds like you have a duff copy I’m unsure of the copy protection used on SimCity 4 but there probably is some form of protection, as you said you used nero to copy the disc nero doesn’t work with copy protections you will need a copying software like Blindwrite or Alcohol 120.

sc4 uses safedisk 2.8, so if it was burned with nero it wont work. try copying with clonecd and then playing. i think as everything else works then its probibly the copy.

ps. if you want to play the game in a cd-rw drive and it has been copied with cloncf you will need to have clonecd installed for the game to run, but as you are using a CD-ROM drive then you dont need to worry :bigsmile:

ok guys, problem solved!
I got the master disk from which it was copied n evrythin went a-okay… tho I still dunno what was wrong coz the error disk works fine on his comp!
btw… when I start winXP I get a whole lot of processes running…17!..only 4 are appz…
the susupicious ones are-- nopdb…system(recurs on ending process)
svchost…NETWORK SERVICE…system
svchost…LOCAL SERVICE…system(recurs on ending process)
entvsrv…user
any ideas??