Is it worth getting a 6800 AGP?

I’m running a Barton xp2500 over clocked to 3200. My current card is a 5700LE.
I know that the processor is a huge bottleneck, but until my finances stabilizes, this is my system for the foreseeable future.

Someone is willing to sell me a used PNY Tech NVIDIA GeForce 6800 - STD DDR AGP 8X 128MB for 55 bucks. Is it worth it?? Or is there a better AGP card for a little more money???

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Its a good upgrade. It will use a good amount of power, but your cpu uses very little so you should be fine. But if your PSU is a piece of crap then you might have to upgrade it, you’ll find out.

Unless it’s got “bad” letters after the number, such as LE, SE or whatever other “low version” letters there are, then a 6800 at 55 bucks is a steal - might not be the most up to the minute, but more than enough to see out that CPU.

There are some better AGP’s, I’m sure, but I doubt any close to the price.

Rethinking… used - you know how they say about cars “never raced or rallied”, are you sure this is “never overclocked or mishandled”.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141060
It’s a 6800, it’s brand new, and it’s got 256MB - and it’s one cheap kicker for an old AGP system. The reviews look like there may be some quality control issues on this model.

By my reckoning (searched on AGP, $50-75, DX9) - the next card that I’d consider is the X1650 @ $67.99, or perhaps the 6800XT @ $69.99

[QUOTE=karelj;1926279]I’m running a Barton xp2500 over clocked to 3200. My current card is a 5700LE.
I know that the processor is a huge bottleneck, but until my finances stabilizes, this is my system for the foreseeable future.

Someone is willing to sell me a used PNY Tech NVIDIA GeForce 6800 - STD DDR AGP 8X 128MB for 55 bucks. Is it worth it?? Or is there a better AGP card for a little more money???

Advice would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I would agree it’s not a bad price to pay … mine 7600GS went around 180 new…but that was only cause I wanted to play high resolution games…but if you are going to use the 6800 to play games like NWN2 or higher running games your should get a better AGP card like a 7600 or higher AGP card…But do remember the more expensive the AGP card the better the card but also the more power it will take from your PS supply so make sure it has the capacity and a connector that you can use to soley connect to the AGP card power connector…

The Std 6800 is not a bad card…I had one in my last system for a few days. The std is not as good a card as the gt model (the gt model has more memory and mem and gpu is clocked faster if I remember).

Here is a chart with the 6800 card on it to give you an idea:

If you want a better card then do a google search on vga charts…look for toms hardware…they have a new version of the charts every so often…this is an older one…as it shows the 6800 near the top. A good place to check and see what current agp cards are going for is Newegg…most here would prob agree…they are a good merchant.

You have to match cpu with the gpu (video card)…other wise one will bottlenect the other. The 6800 would prob be a great match up with a barton o/c @3200 as you say. It also sounds like a fair price…but offer him a little less any way…it can’t hurt…you can always say…well…ok I will pay the full price. (ask the person to install the card for a test in your system and see for yourself if you think it is worth the money).

However…agp is old tech…if you plan on upgrading any time soon…more then likely your agp card will be of no use for an upgrade (unless you go with one of the asrock mobo’s that support agp and pci-x and take current cpu models.