Is it worth buying an 8k hdtv now?

I don’t think it’s worth buying an HDTV now. The reason is the same as 4k there isn’t much 8k or 4k
content out there . The exception being some dvd’s , youtube video’s.:neutral_face:http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/images/articles/Sharp-85-inch-8K-TV-2013.jpg

I have several 4k TVs in the house and use them for everything from watching content to CAD monitors. I don’t see where I need an 8k screen unless I want to use a much larger screen than I currently have. Otherwise, I really wouldn’t be able to perceive the resolution increase with the naked eye. If I wanted to move from a 65" screen to a 100" screen at the same distance I have now, then the upgrade might be worthwhile. It wouldn’t be for an 85 inch screen. Another reason to upgrade might be a result of other improvements besides resolution like color depth, dynamic range etc. For me, there would have to be a very compelling reason to upgrade to 8k as this would require me to also upgrade every computer I have attached to my current TVs.

I think there are many reasons to upgrade from 1080p to 4k. The main one is that the price of 4k TVs have dropped incredibly. Many are lower in price than their 1080p counterparts. Even leaving out the resolution increase the improvement in color rendition with 4k is more than worth the upgrade, IMO. In fact, I would go as far to say color rendition is the best improvement gained when moving to 4k.

I went and checked out the Samsung Q900RB last weekend at Best Buy and must say it looks super impressive with 4K content upscaled. I stood 18" from the 75" version and you absolutely cannot see the pixel structure. Definitely boosts the feeling of looking through a window.

Yeah!
They are impressive? , but I was thinking more of the content available. Either from satellite, cable, internet like youtube t.v. , hulu t.v. , sling. The problem is most providers don’t offer much 8k content,
much less 4k? So that’s the reason [ from my perspective ] that you don’t really need an 8k tv right now?:slightly_smiling_face:

I got a cheap Hisense 4k hdr set a few years ago and for what I paid it looks awesome and hasn’t given me any problems yet. I don’t think paying the huge premium to be a early adopter is worth it as I had to buy a new 4k player and everything to truly take advantage of everything it can do. I paid 550 for the set and 300 for the player and I don’t have the money to do that again. Comcast BARELY has any native 4k content and it will take a new cable box just to get it. My TV upconverts HDTV very nicely so not missing much but when Amazon or YouTube has native 4k hdr stuff it really looks great and bright.
Maybe someday after prices fall and content comes out it will be worth it to upgrade everything again.
I have a 4k Shield and Roku now and the TV supports several 4k things just like the others do.

Hisense 4k’s especially the ones with built in Roku are pretty good.
The only reason they are considered cheap is because they are only 60hz and other features
like not having oled etc… I bought a cheap Westinghhouse with built in Google assistant it’s only
60hz it is 4k and, I like that it has both a USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 . :slightly_smiling_face:

I think mfrs have stopped making 3D displays, but your comment has me thinking these 8K units should be including a 3D capability!?