Is it True that Gravity can BEND CDs/DVDs?

vbimport

folks you’ve got to read this:

Discs last longest when stored in plastic cases in a cool, dark, dry environment. Because gravity can gradually bend the disc, storing it upright like a book is best for long-term storage.

source:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Z8ck53_oPNIJ:askville.amazon.com/store-CD-DVDs-long-term-storage-plastic-jewel-cases-vertically-flat-albums/AnswerViewer.do%3FrequestId%3D2975556+jewel+case+upright&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&source=www.google.ca

> Yes…Why, you ask? Because if you stack them they will warp over
> time, even in their cases, according to experts. Ya see the sides will
> sag, from gravity and from downward pressure.
>

> I’ve heard the same thing, from several sources that appear to be
> reputable. The rationale most often cited is the incresed possibility of
> warping.

source2:

now my papy’s owned quite a few vinyls, and he’s taught me to put them back in an upright position, would the same be applying to disc mediums?

i’ve always thought that cd jewel cases are supposed to be placed in downright position while DVD-cases go upright, am i wrong?

or would horizontal storage be the proper way to store?

i don’t understand how gravity can bend a disc seating in a vertical position, since discs are made of plastic and firmly seated inside a jewelcase, how can a disc literally be “bent” by some kind of opposing force from the inertia of gravity and whatnot? like if i was bending a disc physically with my bare hands? i absolutely don’t understand this context of bent but i don’t want to be missing out on things i should know about.

should i rearrange them to a proper order? has this been technically proven right/wrong?

one thing i’ve learnt is never to use a case with an excessively tight hub locking… mechanism because around a year back google yielded some image results where the disc center were cracked for one disc that were stored for over a decade in a jewel case with said case hub problem, atleast that’s what the author of the site claimed.

anyhow, i’m concerned over this because this is something i’ve never heard of and i found it rather intriguing as much as it is frightening, for me i guess its better safe than sorry, i just want my pressed discs there when nostalgia beckons. sounds insane i know,

thanks for the input guys!

Theoretically it could happen, but i seriously doubt you will see such forces bending a very leightweigh disc that has no movement.

since discs are made of plastic and firmly seated inside a jewelcase, how can a disc literally be “bent” by some kind of opposing force from the inertia of gravity and whatnot?
Given enough time it will exert pressure on itself. (“A diving board will bend under its own weight.”)

like if i was bending a disc physically with my bare hands? i absolutely don’t understand this context of bent but i don’t want to be missing out on things i should know about.
The force you pull with your bare hands is far far greater than the gravitational force on your disc.

The gravitational force is a constant force, but i doubt you will witness a cd get bent by gravity in your lifetime. :slight_smile:

I’ve had “vinyl” stored on edge warp.

Vinyl stored FLAT cannot.

AD

Take a close look at how a CD or DVD is supported in a jewel case.
It´s supported in the centre…therefore the sides are free to bend downwards under their own weight.

As pointed out, this is likely to be imperceptible, and you´ll probably never experience disc failure due to this…however it is at least theoretically possible.

I store all my discs in jewel cases vertically
Discs in a cake-box…flat on top of each other, should therefore not have this problem.

I know that glass is actually a liquid medium with a very high viscosity. Window panes will actually become thicker at the bottom than the top over long periods of time due to the glass “running” under the force of gravity but we are talking minuscule amounts. Nothing to be seen by the naked eye. If vinyl, CD/DVD plastics etc. are also classified as a liquid then they can do the same. If this is the case then storing then horizontally in a cake box might be the best method to prevent warping over long periods of storage. I would also think that storing vinyl records horizontally on a flat surface is better than vertical. Either that or if you want to get really anal, rotate them periodically if they are stored vertically to equalize the “flow” of the material.

I would say that heat cycling is the likely cause of any warping and even then the temperature would have to get fairly high to cause a problem. Either that and/or the disc is stored in a manner where a bending moment is exerted on the it.

Just use the Uri Geller method & straiten then with your mind . :wink:

hi there! thanks for all the replies! i guess i’m convinced now, all my jewel and dvd cases are now all standing in vertical positions. i somehow get the feeling that dusts will build up quicker on the disc because they’re not laying horizontally anymore, hopefully not since i don’t like cleaning so many of them. i’ve never had to clean any of the jewel case ones and i’ve always had them stacked upwards since forever.