Is it time to upgrade?

vbimport

I have two drives currently that I use to burn on the fly. A Nec ND-3500AG and BenQ DW1640. Is the Optiarc AD-7240S a significant upgrade? Are there any drives that I can upgrade to besides the Optiarc AD-7240S? Or in addition to the Optiarc AD-7240S?

Hi,

the 7240S series is considered as the best allrounder at the moment. But please be aware that this is a Sata drive, so you might need an additional Sata controller (unless you have a reliable Sata controller onboard).
I would keep the Benq additionally and retire the Nec-3500.

Main advantage of a newer drive: better support of recent blank media. I doubt, it will improve the way you are using your drives. Burning “on the fly” is not recommended at all.

Michael

Thanks for responding, Michael.

What did you mean by the need of a Sata Controller? Isn’t it just plug and play like a Sata hard drive?

Also are you implying that the DW1640 is better than the 3500AG?

Thanks again.

Depends heavily on the motherboard. Some (AMD and Intel, mostly) work nicely with optical drives, while others do not and need additional controller for that.

Hi,[QUOTE=AznKwaiJai;2464091]Thanks for responding, Michael.[/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

What did you mean by the need of a Sata Controller? Isn’t it just plug and play like a Sata hard drive?
Normally, it’s plug’n’pray, indeed. Some Sata controllers do not work very well with optical drives, especially those on older motherboards. “You may need a Sata controller card” is my standard advice for unknown hardware :wink:

Also are you implying that the DW1640 is better than the 3500AG?

The Benq is a good scanner also. But if you like, you can put the remaining drive into an external enclosure.

Michael

I’m using a somewhat new mobo. GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P. I want to believe that it is compatible.

I assume having 3 burners in one computer is sillie. I guess external enclosure or just pawn it off online. BenQ is the keeper to combo with the Optiarc.

Thanks. You are everything a Mod should be.

Hi,[QUOTE=AznKwaiJai;2464424]I’m using a somewhat new mobo. GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P. I want to believe that it is compatible.[/quote]Okay. I wouldn’t expect problems with that either. And, if I remember correctly, with that motherboard you can set two of the six Sata ports as IDE independently from the other four :slight_smile:

I assume having 3 burners in one computer is sillie.
Why not? If you have an empty drive bay… :wink: I have 4 optical drives installed (plus 4 external) :smiley:
Thanks. You are everything a Mod should be.
You’re very welcome - and thanks :slight_smile:

Michael