Is it time to replace my (bad?) NEC-3540A

vbimport

Wow, it’s been a while since I last came here. Last I was active on the forums it was still CDFreaks.

It was thanks to all the friendly advice and help I got here last time that I purchased a NEC-3540a. Surprising it’s still working after 5 years of use; better than what I can say for my old Lite-on SHOW-812S which is dead.

However, my burns aren’t as spectacular as they used to be. I’m not 100% sure if it’s because Verbatim Made in Taiwan MCC 004 are degrading in quality or my burner is wearing out.

You can take a look at the scans below. All were at ECC 1 and the last two scans are the same disc, the first with my NEC and the other with my father’s Lite-On. It makes me wonder if the drive really is bad, but the scans aren’t nearly as good as they once were.

So if I need to replace my drive, can anyone give any suggestions for a burner good for Single Layer DVD+R solely for data backup?

I need a quality writer because all the DVDs will be used for archiving Wedding shoots that I edit, and ideally want to have the DVDs be readable in the future to copy for customers if they request them later :bigsmile:

IDE drives would be preferred because all my sata ports are in use and I would have to remove my sata-to esata port; however that would not be a deal breaker if the sata models are far better.

Another question I have, would switching to Taiyo Yuden T02 give better burns than the Verbatim MCC 004? I don’t have any on hand, but thinking about switching them if Verbatim’s quality really has gone down the crapper.

These scans (in particular the first 3) look pretty bad. Do you have some scans of old discs at hand? I used my 3540 again for burning a couple of days ago and the result was comparable to your last scan. However I usually take the 7201S for burning. With that drive I can see a significant decrease of burn quality with my latest MCC004 discs and it’s definitely not the burner because I also still have some old MCC004s which still burn really great.

Just for the records: I also use my 3540 for scanning - at 16x though. :slight_smile:

Wow! I didn’t expect to get a response so quickly, and from Liggy too! :bigsmile:

I just did a scan of a MCC004 disc burned in 2006 and its scan looks significantly better, minus then weird PIF spike which seems to scan with this drive.

Is it safe to assume the burner is still working well and I should switch to a different media? If so, I’m going to make a bulk purchase a Taiyo Yuden DVDs, as I’m almost out of my Verbatims anyway.

Oh and is there a particular media code I should be looking for with Taiyo Yuden discs for archival purpose (T02, T03, TG02, or TG03)?

[QUOTE=Liggy;2521239]Just for the records: I also use my 3540 for scanning - at 16x though. :)[/QUOTE]I’m pleased to see that I’m not alone on this one… :wink: (hi Liggy :flower:)

@the OP: Both my 3540 units are dedicated entirely to reading and scanning, which they do very well. As for burning, that’s another story, in my book they’re mediocre burners producing much too high jitter for my taste. :frowning:

Thanks for you response Wizzu,

After reading your comments and Liggy’s, I went ahead and ordered a new burner. Got the AD-7241S for $13 after using a $10 coupon I had at newegg.com in hopes it will be a better burner. My 3540 used to burn pretty well, but I guess time and lower quality MCC 004 haven’t helped.

I’ve only heard good things about the AD-7241S, but heck, even if it sucks, for 12 bucks I don’t think I could complain :wink:

BTW, are they any recommendation on Tiayo Yuden media I should purchase? I’ve only bought Verbatim MCC 004 & some cheap Ritek R02 (gave 98% quality even after 3 years) up til now, but I’m willing to make a change. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DarnCrazy;2521438]Thanks for you response Wizzu[/quote]You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I went ahead and ordered a […] AD-7241S […] even if it sucks, for 12 bucks I don’t think I could complain :wink:
The 724X line of drives is a solid choice from what I’ve seen around this board. :iagree:

Personally I stick with the 7200S, and the Pioneers 112D & 115D. But the 7240/41 was definitly on my list at some time.

BTW, are they any recommendation on Tiayo Yuden media I should purchase?
In my opinion, stick with the Verbies. The 16X TYs are not great discs, far from it, unless one gets lucky (there are some excellent batches out there, sadly they are scarse). Theyre are nothing like the good old 8X TYs. If you have no choice and MUST use 16X Yudens, I’d say choose TYG03 (-R) over YUDEN000 T03 (+R).

Really want to make a change? Then there’s only one brand to hunt for: Falcon! Try some of their 16X - R (mid TTH02), you won’t be disappointed. :cool: I haven’t entirely switched from MCC004 to these discs, only because I can’t find printable ones (I’m a sucker for printable discs). The day I can get inkjet printable Falcons, I will switch for good.

Well I just got the AD-7241S and WOW, what a HUGE improvement in burn quality! Burning the same batch of verbatim MCC 004 discs at 20X, and scanning with the 3540a, I went from terrible burns, to fantastic burns! Definitely was worth the 13 bucks for a new burner!

Now, my question is, should I be concerned at all with my older “bad” burns? As in, the data integrity of the DVD over the next few years…decades preferably.

[QUOTE=Wizzu;2522092]
Really want to make a change? Then there’s only one brand to hunt for: Falcon! Try some of their 16X - R (mid TTH02), you won’t be disappointed. :cool: I haven’t entirely switched from MCC004 to these discs, only because I can’t find printable ones (I’m a sucker for printable discs). The day I can get inkjet printable Falcons, I will switch for good.[/QUOTE]

So I just picked up a 100 Falcon 16x DVD-R White Inkjet printable for $31 after California Tax at SuperMediaStore. Nothing like making spur of the moment midnight purchases :bigsmile:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/fti-16x-dvd-r-white-inkjet-printable-3010328504000536-100pk

I only have about 20 Verbatim DVDs left, which will easily be used in the upcoming weeks (lots of wedding shoots coming up), so this is a good excuse to try some new media! I’ll post my results in the Blank media forum :smiley:

Thanks again for all the help Wizzu!

Opps forgot to add the attachment of the new burn

[QUOTE=DarnCrazy;2523121]Opps forgot to add the attachment of the new burn[/QUOTE]
I’d try burning these discs at 8x or 12x. The results could even be much better.