Is it time to get a DVD burner?

CD writers are becoming common now, I’m thinking of getting a DVD burner in a few months time.

The problem is, in my place which is Malaysia, the cheapest DVD burner, DVD+ only burners, cost around RM 650, which is 4X the cost of the fastest CD writers.

My question is ?

1. Will DVD writers’ speed will go up some more, say 8X.
  2. Will the price go down as low as CD writers.
  3. Are they really worth it ?
  4. Are DVD medias will be cheaper ? I can get pirated DVD 9 movies for RM 15 but DVD-Rs cost RM 20+.
  5. If I should get one, which writer should I get, LiteOn Dual DVD writer ? I like to backup DVD movies.

Thanks for answering.

The things that have stopped me from getting one:

1. The cost, per MB, for storage of data, is still lower with CDR/RW.
  2. I really don’t have a need for a larger disc.
  3. It’s no faster than burning the same amount of data on CDR. (I have 2 CD burners running at the same time and they cost less than one DVD)

I’m sure I will eventually get one just for fun.

I’m not really an authority in this area, but I have been talking to many industry insiders during fairs we once in a while have to visit to keep in touch with the companies.

1) Will DVD writers’ speed will go up some more, say 8X.

Current speed of DVD+R is 8x, will probably go to 12x this spring and will likely end at 16x, but I have no clue when this will happen.

2) Will the price go down as low as CD writers.

I think that it’s likely that prices will drop even more the coming months indeed, if it’ll be as low as CD recorders, I doubt a little.

3) Are they really worth it ?

It depend on what you want to do, for databackups they are of course with 4.7GB able to store a lot more data. If you are making home movies, I’d say what’s still stopping you? :wink: And of course chances are that there will be more games and movies of which you would like to create a backup.

4) Are DVD medias will be cheaper ?

You can be pretty sure about this, currently there is already a lot of production of DVD recordables, but it is very likely that the production capacity in Taiwan will be rapidly expanding the coming months, resulting in much lower prices. There is not really a reason why DVD recordables are currently relatively expensive (Compared to CD-Rs)

5) If I should get one, which writer should I get, LiteOn Dual DVD writer ? I like to backup DVD movies.

I can’t really advice you what DVD writer to get, but I’d still go for a dual format at the moment. It seems that a DVD+RW writer will not dissapoint you, for now and in the future, but DVD-RW is still sold a lot, and you be better safe then sorry :wink:

I wouldn’t bet on DVD media prices getting too much lower, but it would be nice. Remember that DVD is a proprietary format, and can be “controlled” by the owners. But competition between media and drive makers will bring it down to some extent.
I have a hunch that before it gets as cheap as CD, the newer formats will replace it.

I have had an LDW-401S for a month or two now.

I have had nothing but joy from the unit. I can highly recommend it. The latest firmware upgrade (ES0G) has given me (yet again) more acceptable quality write’s to disc’s of quality and lower quality alike (CMC Magnetics for one!).

This is the drive for me!

*Cheap
*Quiet
*Fast enough! - Full DVD in ~13mins
*Great firmware support thus far…

oh…and… its a Liteon :bigsmile: