Is it the media or the software?

vbimport

Is it the media or the software that gives for a better quality picture? Or is it a combination of both? I use pretty much bog standard discs at the moment and I’m quite happy with the results. Would the results be any better if I invested in some good branded discs or is it really down to the software program? I use xcopy to backup and nero to burn

Originally posted by carpki
Is it the media or the software that gives for a better quality picture? Or is it a combination of both? I use pretty much bog standard discs at the moment and I’m quite happy with the results. Would the results be any better if I invested in some good branded discs or is it really down to the software program? I use xcopy to backup and nero to burn

Neither. Picture quality is mostly a function of the compression used (well, if you’re re-encoding a movie to fit a SL DVD, then I guess this would be considered a software issue–recompression software). To a VERY small extent, the playback software used. And the only time media would have an effect is if the media is so bad that the reader has trouble reading (in which case, you’ll get jerky playback or corrupted pictures)

Mmmmmmmm! I guess I should just with things the way they are then! Thanks for taking the time to answer though :slight_smile: