Is it the hardware reading the cd or is it the burn?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Memorex 20x MRX-530L v1 Internal. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi guys, I have been doing a bit of reading on the site for a while now and finally ran into something that I could not quite figure out.

Background Info:
I have been trying to burn a data cd full of mp3 files so that I could play on my car stereo. My car stereo is a factory VW system. The cd reading is not the greatest, but it has always worked without a problem. I have been burning mp3 cds for this car for a while now and I only have run into a few issues in the past. The stereo has a few restrictions on character limit and a file limit per folder. I always like organizing the files by folder defining either a genre/artist/album. From a click of a button I just switch from Jazz, to Rock, to House. The only thing I have changed recently is the primary drive.

I used to have a Sony DRU-710A (Lite-On) with BYX5 firmware but I was getting a few coasters and cd reading no longer was working on it. Here is what I am using now:

XP Home Sp3
P4 2.4ghz
1GB Ram
Nero Express 7.8.50
1:0 Memorex - DVD±RAM MRX-530L v1 (Lite-On)
1:1 Generic Dell - HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B

The Problem:
The radio just does not want to read the cds I have been burning lately. I don’t know if it is the burner or the car stereo.
I have burnt probably 10 different cds in attempt to see what the problem is. DAO, TAO, 12x-40x, folders, no folders. Most of them using the Memorex drive. All of them were data burns. Right now I am pointing fingers to that drive.

Is it the burner or is it the stereo giving me the problem?

I came here to ask you guys if you could help me determine what is to blame. I know it can’t be a definite answer since there are a lot of variables but maybe we could check the media/burner side of things. I have scanned the last burns cd quality.

Hi,

unless the drive is worn out, I’d trust the LG more than the Liteon as CD burner.
I would burn an audio CD (no mp3) with each drive and see which of those works. Also, you may try other blank media, since some players are really picky about the discs they are fed with.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2142233]Hi,

unless the drive is worn out, I’d trust the LG more than the Liteon as CD burner.
I would burn an audio CD (no mp3) with each drive and see which of those works. Also, you may try other blank media, since some players are really picky about the discs they are fed with.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks Michael for the suggestion.

Media wise I have tried two types: TDK branded Ricoh 97m27s66f & Imation branded CMC Magnetics 97m26s66f

Interesting they are both the same dye right? I think its time to research what I buy.

I am going to try burning an audio cd with both drives to see if I get different results.

Also the generic CD-RW drive is a bit worn out. I have had it since 2000, but it has proven to be better than the DVD drives.