Is it safe to store BLANK CD/DVD media for long periods of time?

I wasn’t sure where to post this as the blank media section is not for discussions. I am facing a dilemma, and given the major crisis in Japan I was told there will be a huge shortage of media CD and DVD that can last several months to a year or more and prices of blank media will be 50%-100% higher as was stated by a few retail and distributors, after checking many sites and many contacts, I validated the information, the blank CDs from Taiyo Yuden will be affected most, hard coat, glossy, etc.

Given this recent information I am undecided on whether I should order a large quantity and stock up. I have no problem in ordering large quantities, but my main concern and question relates to the storage of blank media for long periods, since there is so much contradicting views and little data for me to work, as I tried google and searching, but without answers.

I have read through the years that blank (unburnt) media is good for 1 year maybe 2 or 3 tops, stored under optimal condition. I have some old CD / DVD dated 7+ years on my shelf and they burn just fine, however is it true that they do burn fine but will deteriorate within days / weeks / months ? much faster ?

I would like as many point of views as possible, this will greatly help me in my decision which I have to make in a short period of time.

If I buy a few cases of Taiyo Yuden blank CD and Blank DVD-R and DVD+R and I store them unburned, unused inside their cake boxes, unwrapped and all, is there an expiry limit before the unburnt surface is no longer good for holding data ?
Is it safe to burn a disc that has been stored for say, 3 years ? 5 years ? will I get surprises ? That’s what I would like to know.

All my discs here are stored in a dark place away from sunlight, in their respective cake boxes,where humidity is no more than 55-60% in the summer and 40% in the winter.

There is so much conflicting views, some say regardless of storage after 1-3 years the dye disintegrates or weakens and when you burn the disc it will not last very long, is this true ?

Thanks for all the replies in advance :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Darkstar2;2584361]I wasn’t sure where to post this as the blank media section is not for discussions. [/QUOTE] Only two of the sub-forums are not for discussions (but for posting CD and DVD scans).

I haven’t experienced any noticeable degradation of blank CD/DVD media even after years of storage. So it’s certainly possible to keep blank unburned media for a long time, but I cannot say if the same is true for all media under all circumstances.

I keep my blanks stored in cakeboxes away from the light (one big drawer) and have not had any problems with them. Longest in storage is about 5 years I would guess.

But like Drage, I cannot extrapolate my experience to cover all types of media. I use Verbatim 16x +R but go through them quickly. The ones I keep stored are Taiyo Yuden 8x +R.

Humidity is NOT a concern here in W. Texas, but might be for someone else when storing blank disks.

Thanks a lot of the replies. The discs I am using are Taiyo Yuden Hard Coat DVD-R (Excellent discs btw), Glossy Watershield, and the regular 16x DVD+R print to hub.

[QUOTE=Darkstar2;2584361]Is it safe to burn a disc that has been stored for say, 3 years ? 5 years ? will I get surprises ? That’s what I would like to know.
[/QUOTE]

I have several 10+ years old blank media, which are still perfectly usable. I recently even successfully burned a 18 years old (!) CD-R.

I remember it being touted as CD media having a life of 100 years when it was first marketed. Probably only if sealed in an airtight container and kept a in a temperature controlled nuclear bunker tho…

Wouldn’t you be better stockpiling flash media. I read a recent article saying 50 percent of the flash chip manufacturing sites in the world were around the area that the Japanese earthquake hit and there will be a shortage soon as stocks run low. Maybe rubbish, if you’re interested you may need to do some more research on this.

I still have some spindles of 2.4x Verbatim DVD+Rs that are burning well (most new drives don’t specifically support their media code alas, so I use older burners to maximize the quality) and they burn very well indeed.

(I got them super cheap several years ago and they weren’t exactly fresh then.)

I store them in a cool, dark, fairly dry basement.

I would hope so. Half my stash would be useless otherwise :wink:

All mine are stored on a shelf unit in the bedroom closet. I’m gradually working my way though them and have come across no problems yet. They date from about 2005 onwards BTW.

I haven’t noticed any problems with old Verbatim DVD media (from 2005).

However, my supply of Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs may have deteriorated. They were great when I bought them seven years ago, but I’m now producing burns that don’t read properly at high speeds (TRT curves look a bit like square waves. OTOH, the discs I burned in 2004/2005 still read fine) even with the same CD burners I used before.

Recently, I purchased old Verbatim Pastels (dated 2004), which also suffer from similar issues.

Short answer: No.

Most of my DVD blanks are 4-7 years old. I have some Samsung
2.4X DVD+R blanks that are as good as new after seven years in
storage.

This four year old Ridisk was burned today.

Only serious dvdr problems I have experienced have been with Maxell RICOHJPN-R01-002 dvdr’s (they went bad in only about 6 months of storage), though with cdr’s I have recently discovered a number of bad CMC & Ricoh mass market cdr’s over a period of 5-15 years: TDK, Maxell, & housebrands like Office Depot, Comp USA etc.

So far I have not discovered any time based deterioration with TY, Falcon, or older Verbs (I’ve had very bad luck with current VERBS, though not time based).

On the other hand, I do remember when I first joined this forum in 2006 that the conventional wisdom at that time seemed to be to reburn our entire collections every 4 years. Other than replacing the junk mass market discs I bought before I knew better I have NOT done so.

Unfortunately I have so many junk branded cdr’s in my collection it’s going to take a while to finish that reburning project I started at least a year ago.

For the last several years I have only used 3 brands: TY, Falcon & Verb (again I’m currently not using Verbs).

For dvd5’s I am currently having the best luck with these TT01 White Falcon Pro -8x discs (avg 97 score, 300 or less PIF):
http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/fti-dvd-r-8x-white-inkjet-hub-printable-dvd-media-3010128504000344-100pk?search=falcon&fromHeader=true&hiddenSearch=&max=15&offset=0

Though please keep in mind that as of late Falcons have tended to vary dramatically from batch to batch. I bought some silver Falcons a couple months back that were mediocre.

I just ran into another Maxell cdr variant that went bad over time: “Hitatchi Maxell”.

Ironic that Maxell went from being one of the best (if not the best) consumer tape manufacturers to being one of the absolute worst for blank discs!

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2591906]I just ran into another Maxell cdr variant that went bad over time: “Hitatchi Maxell”.

Ironic that Maxell went from being one of the best (if not the best) consumer tape manufacturers to being one of the absolute worst for blank discs![/QUOTE]

Maxell’s own MIJ stuff?! :eek:

Admittedly, I’ve only used their MIJ DVD R media (which is standing up OK so far for me). Never been lucky enough to snag the CDRs. :slight_smile:

Care to post a scan or two on your thread? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2591987]Maxell’s own MIJ stuff?! :eek:

Admittedly, I’ve only used their MIJ DVD R media (which is standing up OK so far for me). Never been lucky enough to snag the CDRs. :slight_smile:

Care to post a scan or two on your thread? :)[/QUOTE]

This scan actually looks better today that the same disc yesterday! Yesterday is was an 84. I am aware that the Optiarc is not an approved cdr scanner. I’m also aware that a scan of this quality (while poor) should play & rip.

Of more importance, while the disc plays, I was unable to rip it with a Plextor Premium. Started having freezing issues from track 3 on.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2592086]I’m also aware that a scan of this quality (while poor) should play & rip.[/QUOTE] That’s not a poor scan at all. :disagree:

Since the Optiarc drive doesn’t report E22 or Jitter, we cannot tell for sure from this scan, but the reported BLER (C1) is good or even very good.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: You demand too much from your scans.

EDIT: Not knowing if this Optiarc drive uses a NEC or a MediaTek chip makes it hard to say of it reports C1 in a useful way (E11+E21+E31) or if it only reports C1 failures (E31).

EDIT2: Google says it uses a MediaTek chipset, so the reported C1 is not very meaningful.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2592108]That’s not a poor scan at all. :disagree:

Since the Optiarc drive doesn’t report E22 or Jitter, we cannot tell for sure from this scan, but the reported BLER (C1) is good or even very good.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: You demand too much from your scans.

EDIT: Not knowing if this Optiarc drive uses a NEC or a MediaTek chip makes it hard to say of it reports C1 in a useful way (E11+E21+E31) or if it only reports C1 failures (E31).

EDIT2: Google says it uses a MediaTek chipset, so the reported C1 is not very meaningful.[/QUOTE]
As I said in the previous post, this complaint wasn’t so much about as the scan as about the fact the cdr is unrippable.

Also, of all my drives that will scan cdr’s, that Optiarc’s results have correlated by far the closest with cdr’s that have playing &/or ripping problems. So despite what you saw on Google, I do largely trust it. If it says there is a problem, the disc usually will not play & vice versa. This scan was an exception. I also have a Sata Optiarc, I do agree that the [B]SATA[/B] version of this drive does not scan cdr’s accurately (though it does fine with dvdr’s)

My Plextors are on Win 98 (my only pata box) & will not scan on win 98; at least not with any software available to me. The Win 98 version of Pextools that I have does not have a scanning option., & the later versions I have will not run on win 98.

Question for those who believe Benqs offer the most accurate scans, I just saw several quite cheap. Is the Benq dw 1620 approved for accurate scans for both cd & dvd? For that matter, is there a list anywhere of which Benq models are approved for scanning? There are quite a few used Benq’s on ebay right now cheap.

I would only buy it for scanning, as the Benq Plex i own doesn’t do as good of a job burning as a real Plex.

I’m open to either cdr or dvdr.

One seller is offering a BENQ 656A 56X CD-ROM New for $18. Would that be an accurate scanner?

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2592156]Is the Benq dw 1620 approved for accurate scans for both cd & dvd?[/QUOTE]I’m not aware of any official certification authority that “approves” consumer drives for scanning. :smiley:

In my opinion, however, it’s a very good drive for CD scanning, especially if you use the Advanced Disc Quality scanning mode.

One seller is offering a BENQ 656A 56X CD-ROM New for $18. Would that be an accurate scanner?
I’m not familiar with that drive, but I doubt it will produce scans as detailed and useful as a BenQ DW1620/1625/1640/1650/1655 or a Plextor PX-712/716/755/760/Premium/Premium2.

Thanks! I’ll look to pick up a used Benq 1600 series since they are going cheap. How are they at burning?

I own a BenQ 1640 (and a couple of 1650s til they went to loving homes) and in my experience they’re great at burning the good stuff (TY/MCC…). For other stuff, SolidBurn helps a heck of a lot. :wink:

They also “learn” media :wink: