Is it really worth to trash a slightly bad burned disc?

I’m aware that a single layer DVD costs only few cents, but is it really needed to trash a disc when something like this happen?

Until the disc is still readable there is no need to trash it, and there is no evidence that the disc can become unreadable after a short time.

In these situations I suggest to use a software like DVDisaster to make a recovery file instead of trashing the disc and increase the amount of waste in the world :eek:

The procedure is pretty simple and is described in detail here

IF the disc should become unreadable, then you can recover data and eventually burn again them on another disc.

Is it really a bad idea? A bit uncomfortable maybe, but certainly environment-friendly :bigsmile:

It depends on the data stored on that disc.
For the movie backup, you can go this route - and even skip the DVDisaster part (since the original source exists) :wink:

For important data, I’d create a new disc including the DVDisaster stuff.

Michael

Personally I’d reburn such a disc, unless I was going to use it only that same day.

I’m not as obsessive-compulsive as some other CDFreaks about PIE/PIF scans, but when it comes to major TRT slowdowns the disc is headed for the trashcan.

I noticed that some discs I burned some years ago that showed a similar TRT didn’t change after all this time, so assuming that the disc still remain readable for some years I think that there is no reason to burn again it.

I agree that for movie backups is not a big deal, because data can be retrieved directly from original disc, and besides, most of times in the most external part of the disc there are only credits, and some people actually cut these to save space and reduce the amount of compression needed for backup.

Maybe my chronically empty wallet is involved in this way of thinking :o

I needed to reburn a disc (movie) for my wife. I usually keep the movies that I burn on one of my hard drives but I guess the movie was on one of the HDs that was in my computer that burned up. Therefore I went to find the original one and stared at the hundreds of cases and decided it would be a lot faster to rent the movie and make a copy from it. There is about half of a walk-in closet with box after box of movies in them. I think she needs to start her own movie rental company!!!

Is it readable in ordinary circumstances? I mean without resorting to data recovery software? That is probably where I would call it quits - If the disc is still perfectly readable/copyable without producing errors on such as IMGBurn or simple copying of the files to the hard drive, I would keep the disc. Only when the disc becomes corrupted do I seek recovery software. The thesis for me is start with good discs / dyes, and you’re sorted for sometime! :slight_smile:

As said Mciahel, if is a movie backup I don’t care too much because I can recover everything from the original (it can be annoying if compression must be done again, but is not really a problem).

But I don’t like to waste things, so if the disc is still readable in my opinion there is no reason to trash it, so I make a recovery file.

It is a very quick process because I most of times burn all my discs from ISO files, so DVDisaster will make the recovery file directly from HDD. When the disc becomes unreadable, then I’ll use the recovery file to make another ISO and I’ll burn on a new disc.

However, I must say that for very important data I always make 2-3 copies and save discs in different places :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2596205][B]IF[/B] the disc should become unreadable, then you can recover data and eventually burn again them on another disc.

Is it really a bad idea? A bit uncomfortable maybe, but certainly environment-friendly :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
DVD movie, keep it - Data, throw it.
DVD players read the disc at 1-4x anyway, and so long as it’s still readable, should be ok … of course, if you used a decent disc in the first place, it wouldn’t have happened :stuck_out_tongue: