Is It Really Expensive to Leave My PC Running 24 Hours?

Hi everyone - yes it’s me again!

Sorry to be a pain but I just wondered if anyone could tell me if it’s going to cost me a fortune and do my computer any harm if I leave it on constantly all the time.

The thing is at the moment I do quite a bit of p2p and obviously you have to give back what you take so I leave my computer on all the time so that other people can seed back off me. But I wondered if this was a bad thing to do for my computer in general plus if it’s going to cost me an absolute fortune in electricity bills?

Probably a very daft question but it’s just something that’s been niggling at the back of my mind ever since I’ve been using p2p sites.

Thank you.

[quote=beachbabe;2165505] But I wondered if this was a bad thing to do for my computer in general plus if it’s going to cost me an absolute fortune in electricity bills?[/quote]Just do the math. Average power demand of a desktop computer is roughly 100 W (without monitor). Depending on the hardware twice or even triple of this value is possible. That is 2,4 ~ 7 kWh per day. Now multiply that with the numbers of days your computer is running and with your local price of electricity.

Just calculated: I would have to pay 175 € per year for a 365day, 24/7 running computer (economic variant).

Apart from that, there is additional wear of all computer components compared to a 8 hrs per day operation.

Michael

Given the price of energy now here in the UK, my 2 PCs only stay on as long as I’m awake. I did notice a slight rise in what I was paying per week when I was leaving them on 24/7 running Folding@home though.

Nice post, Michael - maths isn’t my thing, hehe :slight_smile:

4 x PCs, 24/7/365.

Thanks everyone.

I agree Arachne - maths isn’t my thing either!

Well that’s decided it for me then and it’s as I thought - while I appreciate that I should seed for p2p I’ve decided that I will leave it to do that only when I’m in the house.

With the stupid prices of electricity in the UK at the moment I just can’t and won’t leave it on as much in future.

Thanks again everyone.

Which beach, or what beach?

Babe beach of course :smiley:

Is that right next to beefcake beach?

i leave my primary PC on pretty much 24/7.

theoretically leaving a PC on 24/7 might cause more wear and tear but i also heard powering a PC on and off all the time is harder on components… i.e. it’s probably better for PC to leave it on 24/7.

cause hard drives should last quite a while even with the PC running 24/7.

in my own personal ‘opinion’ though… as far as wear and tear, i think the ‘fans’ take the biggest wear and tear more than anything else… cause either im unlucky but i seem to have bad luck with power supply fans dying… but that could be due to my old PC (which is the one that had the power supply fan go out on pretty much twice) having all output airflow going through the PSU (power supply) … so far my new PC’s (which i built in March 2006, and has been running close to 24/7) has been fine (has a $109.99 PSU, Enermax Liberty in it) but it also has a case 120mm case fan that blows air out of it… so maybe the less heat going through the PSU’s output fan extends the life of the fans?

just some thoughts :wink:

[QUOTE=beef barley;2165758]Is that right next to beefcake beach?[/QUOTE]

It most certainly is :iagree:

[QUOTE=NBR;2165903]i leave my primary PC on pretty much 24/7.

theoretically leaving a PC on 24/7 might cause more wear and tear but i also heard powering a PC on and off all the time is harder on components… i.e. it’s probably better for PC to leave it on 24/7. I’ve also heard that the time when you can do the most damage to your pc is when you switch it on and off as that’s when everythings working together!!!

cause hard drives should last quite a while even with the PC running 24/7.

in my own personal ‘opinion’ though… as far as wear and tear, i think the ‘fans’ take the biggest wear and tear more than anything else… cause either im unlucky but i seem to have bad luck with power supply fans dying… but that could be due to my old PC (which is the one that had the power supply fan go out on pretty much twice) having all output airflow going through the PSU (power supply) … so far my new PC’s (which i built in March 2006, and has been running close to 24/7) has been fine (has a $109.99 PSU, Enermax Liberty in it) but it also has a case 120mm case fan that blows air out of it… so maybe the less heat going through the PSU’s output fan extends the life of the fans?

just some thoughts ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that NBR it’s good to know that I’m not the only one that leaves it on practically 24/7. I’ve also heard that the time when you do the most damage to your pc is when you keep turning it on and off as that’s when everythings working together!!!

If I’m not seen on CDfreaks though shortly you’ll know that I’ve just got my electricity bill and have had to sell everything in site :smiley:

Hopefully not though - at least I know that I’m not doing too much damage to my pc.

Thanks again NBR.