Is it possible to use CDR-Audio in a traditional burner?

vbimport

Hello,

I'd like to know if it's possible to use CD-R Audio (JVC) in a normal burner (Yamaha CRW2100S)...

It is stated on my burner's manual that the burner accepts CD-R, CD-RW and CD-RW Hi Speed.

On the CD-R Audio, it's written that the media should only be used on devices having the "CD-R Audio" logo...

I thought at the beginning that Blank CD-R Audio were different from normal CD-R just by the "restricted use" bit set in the pregroove.

Is it the case?
Can I use these CDs with no fear on my burner?

Thank you!

I use standard disc for Audio and Data. I have never personally bought Audio cd’s. All I can say is try it and find out. Now what would be interesting is if you can put Data on a Audio and see what happens.

Originally posted by grenet_ghost
[B]I thought at the beginning that Blank CD-R Audio were different from normal CD-R just by the “restricted use” bit set in the pregroove.

Is it the case?[/B]

Yes this is the case, a genuine audio cd-recorder will burn only on CD-r audio because of this ‘restricted’ bit. If you want to use a CD-r audio disk in a normal pc-based burner I think this must be possible… but you pay a lot more for your audio disks without having any advantage over normal CD-r’s.

:smiley:

Actually, I burnt an Audio CD for a friend on my burner (on a standard CD-R), and he gave me a CD-R Audio as a compensation!

That’s why I wanna know if “physically” it’s the same (except for the “restricted use” bit), as far as the die etc… is concerned.

People say these disks are made for Audio, but I believe it’s just a matter of “rights” and so on. I don’t think it’s because it’s better suited for Audio!

Originally posted by grenet_ghost
but I believe it’s just a matter of “rights” and so on. I don’t think it’s because it’s better suited for Audio!

That is what I think too.

:slight_smile:

its the same

they just ripping people with audio burners off!

It works…even audio cdr-w’s do work with your burner…you guys are quite right that it only is a matter of rights,and it has nothing to do with better quality of the disc…The discs I use with my Philips cdr770 audiocd-copier work also with all my burners and can be read by every device I have…:slight_smile:

I agree,

I’ve tested this with CarbonSound 80 min CD-Rs from HiSpace.
Recording DATA (Mode1) and AUDIO was no problem.
I’ve bought them only, because of their cool design (vinyl-look).
If you are using a regular CD-Recorder for PCs, you don’t need these special CDs.

some companies offering the modification of DVD players to accept all regions also offer a modification so that one can use normal CD-R’s in audio CD-recorders, which should save the regular audio burners quite some money
with such a recorder, one may also perform a “swap trick”. I know it works with Philips’ audio cd burners, you need to swap the audio CD-R with a normal one just before the burning commences

I agree a computer CDR Drive cannot or does not care abouth the difference.

My wife bought me a 50 spindle of Memorex CDR Audio by mistake once, they were made by riteck and from what I could tell no different to my drive than the regular CDR.

I burned data, music, VCD, and anything else I needed to with no problems, they just cost more to pay our friends the RIAA for all the money they claim they are losing.

I did learn that if a friend of mine who has an audio CD recorder tries to make a copy from one of these it will not allow it because of the flag being set.
However he can copy any of my standard CDRs just fine.

Thanks a lot for your enlightment!

I don’t know for sure, but there COULD be a difference in recording speed. As far as I know, audioCD-writers don’t write faster than 4x, so I guess the AudioCDR’s are not designed for writing at 40x. (I’m not saying it won’t work at 40x)

However, that will largely depend on the writer that you are using and the quality of the CDR-disc.

A CD is a CD is a CD, Don’t pay that extra money for the same disc with a different price!!

The reason Audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs exist is sole reason of home CD-Writers (the things by Philips that look like stereo equipment). These have been around for a while and can only copy or create audio CDs. With this in mind it has been decided by the powers that be (sony/philips) that any discs written on these should have some money going back to industry. So basically the ‘Audio’ CD-Rs / CD-RWs have a specific byte of data written right at the begining in one of the sub channels, the home systems will ONLY write to these discs. So as a result the media is also more expensive to pass the cost back to the industry. One thing of note is that just becuase a CD-RW has Audio written on it, it doesnt mean that you will be able to play it back in your hi-fi. Most new CD players have ‘multi-play’ written somewhere on them, this means they are capable of reading CD-RW discs but unforunately most of them arent As far as PC CD-R(W) drives are concerned ther is no difference between the 2, the quality is the same, the media is the same, it will ignore the info specifically set for the home players.