Is it possible to share a DVD burner among multiple computers?

vbimport

When I have several computers, I wonder if I can only buy one IDE(PATA) DVD burner and share them among all computers.

Things I want to do are:

1. Put disc in computer A. Install program/drive from disc in computer B
  2. Insert blank disc in computer A. Burn data from computer B

Thanks.

@ Wai_Wai,

Yes it’s called a ‘Home NetWork’.

There are a couple of various ways to effetely setup a personnel ‘Home NetWork’. Suggest using Google Search (http://www.google.com) and perform research on the topic ‘Home NetWork’ for detailed information on how to correctly setup a ‘Home NetWork’ between personal computers.

Regards,
bjkg

You can accomplish what you want in a couple of ways, but in my opinion the best way is to instead buy an external DVD writer that can be connected by USB, and then move it around when you need to use it on another PC.

If you insist on installing the DVD writer internally, things become more difficult:

You can share a DVD drive just like a harddrive from within Explorer which will work for most program installs (but probably not when installing copy-protected games).

The old Nero 6 has a NeroNET add-on that makes it possible to burn to a CD/DVD writer on another computer, but if you don’t have Nero 6 already, this is not going to be a solution, because NeroNET isn’t supported in later versions of Nero.

You could also use your burning programs to create an ISO image, and then either copy it over the network to the computer with the DVD writer and then burn it to disc from there, or create an ISO image on a network share, and then mount the network share on the computer with the DVD writer and burn to disc from there.

Perhaps there are other ways of burning over the network using the iSCSI protocol (never tried it myself) or by using other advanced burning software, but I’m not sure.

I reiterate that I think an external DVD burner that can be moved around is better than trying to use the network for burning/reading DVDs.

I want to use my old DVD drive and it’s internal.

As to external USB DVD drive, do I need to install driver when I plug in to the computer, for the first time only I think?

Will it be damaged easily if I keep moving here and there?

You can share a DVD drive just like a harddrive from within Explorer which will work for most program installs (but probably not when installing copy-protected games).

How can I share a DVD drive? I use Win XP Pro.

Too bad that it doesn’t work when installing copy-protected game. Is there any workaround? Perhaps create an image and we install from the image?!

[quote=Wai_Wai;2090118]As to external USB DVD drive, do I need to install driver when I plug in to the computer, for the first time only I think?[/QUOTE]Any operating system more recent than Windows 98SE will have the drivers already, and no manual driver installation should be necessary.

Will it be damaged easily if I keep moving here and there?
Not unless you’re violent or clumsy. :smiley:

How can I share a DVD drive? I use Win XP Pro.
Right-click on the drive icon in Explorer and choose the Sharing option.

Right-click on the drive icon in Explorer and choose the Sharing option.

It seems it doesn’t work. You can only see the DVD drive. But you can’t use it (eg play DVD videos, install program, install game etc.)