Is it possible to save a DVD that has high PI/PIF's?

Hey Guys,

I’ve just started using KProbe and have found all of the Ridata (Ritek) & Datacell DVD+R Double Layer discs I’ve copied to are giving high PI’s & PIF’s compared with the excellent Verbatims. My DVD player has been having some hard times with pauses/skips during playback, which prompted me to test.

I would like to know, is it possible to just re-copy the DVD back to PC in say DVD Decrypter and burn it out again to say a Verbatim without losing anything against the original? Has the high rates of PI/PIF’s caused any damage to the copy, even though the errors reported are 0?

Here is a sample KProbe of the Datacell burnt at 6x speed with a Max write speed of 8x…

http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133246&stc=1&d=1199504922
CMC.jpg

Let me know what you think, I would hate to have to throw all these copies away with them all being damaged in some way.

Pick what you figure is the worst one & rerip it back to your hard drive to view with a media player. See if you experience the same problems.

[QUOTE=beef barley;1969748]Pick what you figure is the worst one & rerip it back to your hard drive to view with a media player. See if you experience the same problems.[/QUOTE]

Thanks beef, I guess that makes sense, however it would be hard to notice every blip/spec/pause that could be potentially caused by the high rate of these media probs. I thought maybe all of these PI/PIF’s would just be a standalone dvd player prob and unless their are any errors listed, the re-rip back to hard drive would be of a perfect copy again (as the pc cd-rom would handle the media better)… obviously these issues are not as straight forward as I had hoped.

[quote=GEoMaNTiK;1969733]I would like to know, is it possible to just re-copy the DVD back to PC in say DVD Decrypter and burn it out again to say a Verbatim without losing anything against the original? Has the high rates of PI/PIF’s caused any damage to the copy, even though the errors reported are 0?

Let me know what you think, I would hate to have to throw all these copies away with them all being damaged in some way.[/quote] If you copy/rip the DVD to your harddrive with no errors occurring in the copy/ripping process, it no longer matters what PIE/PIF are occuring on the disc. UNLESS you use a ripping program that allows you to ignore errors and you deliberately disable error checking.

If your DVDs are easily readable, I suggest using something like ImgBurn Read mode or DVDDecrypter Read Mode to save your discs to ISO/MDS files and then burn them to new and better media using ImgBurn Write Mode.

If your DVDs are very hard to read, I suggest using DVDisaster, IsoBuster or IsoPuzzle to read your discs, since these programs are designed to handle such problems by re-reading problematic sectors and can use multiple drives to attempt making a full copy.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1969951]If you copy/rip the DVD to your harddrive with no errors occurring in the copy/ripping process, it no longer matters what PIE/PIF are occuring on the disc. UNLESS you use a ripping program that allows you to ignore errors and you deliberately disable error checking.

If your DVDs are easily readable, I suggest using something like ImgBurn Read mode or DVDDecrypter Read Mode to save your discs to ISO/MDS files and then burn them to new and better media using ImgBurn Write Mode.

If your DVDs are very hard to read, I suggest using DVDisaster, IsoBuster or IsoPuzzle to read your discs, since these programs are designed to handle such problems by re-reading problematic sectors and can use multiple drives to attempt making a full copy.[/QUOTE]

Hey DrageMester, you’re a legend mate.

That’s exactly what I needed confirmed and thought the 0 errors thing was okay. All the DVD’s I’ve copied to this dodgy media are readable, they just skip and slow down on the standalone dvd player.

Thanks again for your help and I’ll start the process of re-ripping & copying…