Is it possible to rip blu ray movies to dvd? (also, BDR-2207 opinions)

I am going to buy a blu ray burner (finally decided on the Pioneer BDR-2207; if anyone knows a reason I shouldn’t get this one, please speak up!) and I plan to use it to backup my blu ray movies.

Is it possible to rip a Blu Ray movie to the hdd and then burn it to a regular (or a dual layer) dvd? If so, will the resulting movie look about the same when viewing? (My Dad wants to borrow my Star Wars (which I only own in Blu Ray, and would rather not loan out), if I rip it to a dvd, will Dad really notice a difference in playback quality?)

Thanks!

Yes, it is possible to convert blu ray movies to dvd-video format. You will need a blu ray drive of some sort to read and rip the movie to the hard drive first, and some sort of decryption program for blu ray.

Use a free program called BD Rebuilder for the conversion. You’ll see two links in my signature regarding this program. The first covers the basic setup for the program and the second deals with conversion to other formats.

You’ll get better quality compressing to double layer dvd size, but even single layer dvds made from blu ray can be quite good when using BD Rebuilder.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2651620]Yes, it is possible to convert blu ray movies to dvd-video format. You will need a blu ray drive of some sort to read and rip the movie to the hard drive first, and some sort of decryption program for blu ray.

Use a free program called BD Rebuilder for the conversion. You’ll see two links in my signature regarding this program. The first covers the basic setup for the program and the second deals with conversion to other formats.

You’ll get better quality compressing to double layer dvd size, but even single layer dvds made from blu ray can be quite good when using BD Rebuilder.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, Kerry, thank you… I am just about to pull the triggor on the Pioneer. Any thots on that burner?

That Pioneer was introduced in the spring I believe, so there hasn’t been a great deal of information accumulated through user reports here. I’m afraid I don’t know much about it.

[QUOTE=b1oo;2651625]Sounds good, Kerry, thank you… I am just about to pull the triggor on the Pioneer. Any thots on that burner?[/QUOTE]

Use search, you will find your answer. :wink: