Is it possible to read DVD's @16x with PX-716A?

vbimport

Hi,

I’m just wondering if the Plex is able to read a DVD @ 6-16x instead of 5-12x ? I activated “Enable SpeedRead CD/DVD” and then also selected “6-16x” in the “DVD Read Speed Setting” dropdown menu - but no go :a

The drive always beginns @5x reaching 12x @ max, no matter what kind of Media I throw at it…

It depends on the type of disc too I think. A dual layered DVD is 12x max. I’ve hit about 14-15x with a single layer though. Maybe check your burst rate if you can’t get 12+X on a single layer disc? Are you using an external enclosure?

for PRESSED DVDs, it’s 5-12x for double layer discs and 6-16x for single layer discs.

refer to Plextools Pro > Drive Information > DVD Read tab

Ah I see, so my home-burnt dvd dl’s only read back at 3-8x? I never noticed!

Yep, the Plextor can only reach 16x read speeds with pressed single layer DVD-Video discs, no other format. It does reach 12x with all types of DVDR and DVDRW media, which is quite fast (especially for RW media) when compared to other recorders.

Interesting is that the PX-712A was faster (12x on properly burnt DVD+R DL media)

Hmm :confused:

so it’s very limited, I expected more from Plextor. Why did they do that ? Do they want to have nice reading curves ? :cool:

So then all bow down to the speedpatched BenQ or NEC. :bow:

P.S.: It’s surprising that the media can be burned but not read at full speed. It’s a little like beeing 16 yrs old and making your own sex video which afterwards you are not allowed to watch because it’s prohibited to people under 18 :bigsmile:

with stock firmware, there aren’t many drives that can read much faster than the 716 on a given format…

lol @ your P.S.

So the Plex can’t even be fooled by “Hide CD-R Media” ? :wink: So that it only sees the -ROM Bit ? :bigsmile:

from CDRLabs.com

Asus DRW-1608P
DVD Read Speeds
16x Max (DVD-ROM Single Layer)
12x Max (DVD-ROM Dual Layer)
5x Max (DVD-Video)
12x Max (DVD±R)
8x Max (DVD±RW)
8x Max (DVD±R DL)
2x (DVD-RAM)

BenQ DW1625
DVD Read Speeds
8x Max (DVD-ROM Dual Layer)
8x Max (DVD-R/RW)
8x Max (DVD+R/RW)
8x Max (DVD+R DL)

Memorex 16x Internal (based on NEC 3520A)
DVD Read Speeds
7x Max (DVD-ROM Dual Layer)
16x Max (DVD±R)
8x Max (DVD±RW)
5x Max (DVD+R DL)
5x Max (DVD-Video)

Pioneer DVR-A09XL
DVD Read Speeds
12x Max (DVD-Video)
12x Max (DVD±R)
8x Max (DVD±RW)
8x Max (DVD±R DL)
2x (DVD-RAM)

LG GSA-4163B
DVD Read Speeds
16x Max (DVD-ROM)
8x Max (DVD-Video)
10x Max (DVD±R)
8x Max (DVD±RW)
5x, 3x, 2x (DVD-RAM)

Samsung TS-H552U
DVD Read Speeds
8x Max (DVD±R)
8x Max (DVD±RW)
8x Max (DVD+R DL)
8x Max (DVD-Video)

Sony DRU-720A
DVD Read Speeds
12x Max (DVD-ROM Single Layer)
8x Max (DVD+R/RW)
8x Max (DVD-R/RW)
6x Max (DVD+R DL)

NEC ND-3520A
DVD Read Speeds
7 Max (DVD-ROM Dual Layer)
16x Max (DVD±R)
8x Max (DVD±RW)
5x Max (DVD+R DL)
5x Max (DVD-Video)

Plextor PX-716A
DVD Read Speeds
12x Max (DVD-R/RW)
12x Max (DVD+R/RW)
8x Max (DVD+R DL)

I use an Aopen 1648 AAP/PRO for reading purpose. It reads burnt +R/RW and -R/RW @16x and +R DL @14x. Fastest drive ever :iagree:

With my AOpen I get “only” 5-12x DVD+R DL (Bit or not does not matter), +RW (without Bit) Speed is 4-10x and -R 5-12x

/edit:

Didn’t see you got the “Pro” - so I have to use my BenQ (speedpatched) to reach your speeds :wink: