Is it possible to make the Lite-On DD-A500GX region free?

vbimport

[qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the Lite-On DD-A500GX - DVD recorder. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]Is their a “hack” to make this unit region-free?

I can’t find one http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders?DVDname=+Lite-On+DD-A500GX+-+DVD+recorder&Submit=Search&hdsize=Any&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dvdtv=&orderby=Name&hits=50&Search=Search

Found this on www.videohelp.com - I don’t own this model, so haven’t tried it.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=Lite-On+DD-A500GX&hits=50&Search=Search

Region free hack:

1. Press “Setup” on remote.
  2. Scroll down and highlight “Exit” (bottom box in menu).
  3. While “Exit” is highlighted enter 2,9,6, and 0 and press “Enter”.
  4. A hidden menu pops up and you can select your region (press ‘right arrow’ to view list).
  5. Select “region free”
  6. Press “Setup” to exit
    Machine is now Region Code-Free.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the feedback. I used this hack on the LVW-5005 that I bought and it worked fine - wanted to be sure it worked on the A500gx before I bought one to replace my blown 5005. I was also told of a similar hack to turn HDCP on or off - does anyone know if this works?

If you click on the second link I posted above, there is a HDCP hack listed :iagree: - no idea if it works, though.

I have used my Lite-on DD-A500GX at home for over a year now and love it, mostly because of the “region-free” capability. Now I want to buy another one for the office but it appears Lite-on don’t make this model any more. Can someone please tell me which of their newer models comes closest in terms of functionality to the A500GX and, most importantly, can be hacked to be region-free?

Any suggestions on other brands to consider would also be appreciated.barrie.hunter@earthlink.net

Correction to the email address in the previous post - it’s barrie.hunter@earthlink.net