Is it possible to flash 7240S with 7243S firmware to get LabelFlash?

vbimport

Hello,

Question is very simple - is it possible to flash 7240S with 7243S firmwareto get LabelFlash ?

Will it work?

Hi,

Theorically labellflash is just a “firmware thing”, but for 7590, liggy says NO http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7590A/ …As for 7910 or 7700, but nothing about it in the 7240 page… http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7240S/

So… I don’t know… why wouldn’t it work, did optiarc put something special in hardware that make crossflashing impossible ?

Will my 7240 drive die if I have a try with 7243 firmware ?

Regards

Getting Labelflash support actually is just a matter of the right firmware. However it’s not only the main firmware but also the drive’s bootcode that has to be updated. However this is not supported by me and probably nobody else. [thread=166962]This thread[/thread] contains the discussion about this topic in general.

There’s no actual protection in the drives that prevent this crossflash, but you must know the required commands - and of course you need the bootcode.

Due to some protections your drive will not die if you really manage to flash a 7243 firmware on a 7240 drive, but it won’t work either.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2477570]Getting Labelflash support actually is just a matter of the right firmware. However it’s not only the main firmware but also the drive’s bootcode that has to be updated. However this is not supported by me and probably nobody else. [thread=166962]This thread[/thread] contains the discussion about this topic in general.

There’s no actual protection in the drives that prevent this crossflash, but you must know the required commands - and of course you need the bootcode.

Due to some protections your drive will not die if you really manage to flash a 7243 firmware on a 7240 drive, but it won’t work either.[/QUOTE]

Can you state last sentence more clear, please? If I manage to flash bootcode from 7243 on a 7240 drive AND 7243 firmware on a 7240 drive, will it be able to use LabelFlash?

And following question, assuming I know the “required commands”, where I can find bootcode for 7243S ?

Ok thank you for your answer Liggy :wink:

[QUOTE=neveripe;2477630]Can you state last sentence more clear, please? If I manage to flash bootcode from 7243 on a 7240 drive AND 7243 firmware on a 7240 drive, will it be able to use LabelFlash?

And following question, assuming I know the “required commands”, where I can find bootcode for 7243S ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it will work, but as he said, he doesn’t support that, meaning, you will have to figure it out yourself. He’s not going to help you do it.

By the time you gain enough technical knowledge to do this, you will have been better off just buying an actual Labelflash drive.

[QUOTE=negritude;2477670]Yes, it will work, but as he said, he doesn’t support that, meaning, you will have to figure it out yourself. He’s not going to help you do it.

By the time you gain enough technical knowledge to do this, you will have been better off just buying an actual Labelflash drive.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I understood that and appreciate Liggy’s reply very much :slight_smile: I already know how to flash bootcode, just need one :slight_smile: Anyway, will try to google it more :slight_smile:

And about buying actual LabelFlash drive - I would, but I was trying to buy 7243S here, in Kiev, Ukraine, with no luck - every shop lists it on their site, buy when I’m actually order it, they call me and say “Sorry, but we do not have 7243S drive, maybe you will get 7240S?” :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=neveripe;2477630]Can you state last sentence more clear, please? If I manage to flash bootcode from 7243 on a 7240 drive AND 7243 firmware on a 7240 drive, will it be able to use LabelFlash?[/QUOTE]
Nope. I meant if you’re going to flash a 7243 firmware on a 7240 bootcode. This can be accomplished without big problems but will prevent your drive from functioning properly.

And following question, assuming I know the “required commands”, where I can find bootcode for 7243S ?

It would have to be extracted from a 7243S drive. But I doubt you would easily find the commands for flashing the 7243 bootcode.