Is it possible to edit movies?

vbimport

This may be off topic, but I have wondered about this. It is possible to edit movies? Say, I have an “R” rated movie that the kids like and I want to take out some of the “bad” things. Can this be done?

Thanks.

Wrong forum m8

yes it is possible with other software then dvd2one
(but it will take some time)

you have to ask here;
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=32

Basically, the process will involve ripping the DVD to your HD, converting it to DV, using your favorite movie editor to delete the offensive scenes, then exporting the resultant movie to MPEG2 and soundtrack to AC3, and finally mastering a new DVD. You must make sure you edit the soundtrack along with the video track to ensure you don’t lose synch. I could tell you which apps you need to do this on a Mac, or you’ll have to ask someone else (in a different forum) for the Windows tools needed. Maybe instead of going through all this trouble and leaving gaps in the plot line, you should just try recording them when (if) they play on TV, or just abstaining from showing these movies to your kids until they are mature enough to handle the full unedited version. BTW, if your kids already like this movie, have they not already seen it with all the “bad” scenes?

you could use DVDSHRINK’s author feature

say you wanna cut 2 scenes, first you would would have the Start at the beginning of the movie and END it just before the 1st wanted cut scene

this will give you the 1st set of VOB’s

then use DVDSHRINK again and START just after the 1st cut scene and END just before the 2nd cut scene and again you will get some VOB’s

and finally START just after 2nd cut scene and END at the end of the movie to get the 3rd set of VOB’s

the just use VOBEDIT or whatever and join the 3 sets of VOB’s or you could use DVD LAB’s 30 day trial and just drop the 3 sets of VOB’s into it

this would take me say 10-15mins usertime and 25-35mins processing time

Thanks for the suggestions. Especially MackemX–DVDShrink seems like the program I needed. Thanks!

WiseWeasel:

Maybe instead of going through all this trouble and leaving gaps in the plot line, you should just try recording them when (if) they play on TV, or just abstaining from showing these movies to your kids until they are mature enough to handle the full unedited version.

I guess I’m not “mature” enough either. There are movie I don’t care to see the complete “plot line.” Have you seen Matrix Reloaded? If the rave “plot line” advances that story–please explain.

BTW, if your kids already like this movie, have they not already seen it with all the “bad” scenes?

no.