Is it possible to download the firmware "from" the ODD?

vbimport

Hi, my 1st post here in this section and a new sammy drives owner here. :iagree:

Just grabbed two of these drives in retail box:

SH-S203B/RSBN F/W=SB01
H/W:A Ver.B August 2007
Factory ID: I Made in Indonesia

So far on few burn results on MCC04 are excellent, scanned on BenQ nexperia drive.

Question before I toy with patched firmware, is there a program capable of downloading the firmware “from” the drive ?

The reason is one of my friend just ruined his new S203B after flashed it using a “official & unpatched” SB04, and yes, he did check it 1st with MCSE on the firmware & bootcode rev and was using the correct one.

His drive now unable to burn anything even on a good MCC disc, and really slow on loading any discs dvd/cd. Also unable to recognize any of his DVD-RAM discs that was worked fine before he did that flashing. All of this problems still exist even he reverted back to the official SB01 downloaded from the Samsung ODD site. :sad:

Just curious and want to compare whether the built-in original SB01 that came with the drive is exactly the same as the one downloaded from the Samsung official site.

Yes, I’m aware of the risk on flashing a non official firmware and the olde saying “If its not broken, don’t fix it !”, after all where is the fun if we never tweak our ODD. :bigsmile:

Thanks in advance.

Ok, you have a 203[B]B[/B], but do your friend too?
This is no offense, but one of my friends asked me, what drive I have, I told him S203B, and he bought a S203D… You can imagine what happened after he flashed one of my update files onto that drive…

Other possible solution is to reflash SB04 again. Maybe first flash went wrong.
And best use new TSDNWIN Flasher http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-188143/index3.html#post2062077

None taken, thanks for the reply and feel sorry for your poor friend. :sad:

Its a “[U][B]B[/B][/U]” model of course, as I said before, he did verify the boot code and the firmware rev from MCSE and rechecked the model number printed at the label on top of the drive, and from software reading on the drive model. Is there any better method to ensure the correct firmware before flashing ?

He used Tsdnwin.exe and waited after the progress bar finished at 100% on every flash. Spent his whole day re-flashing and even back to B0,1,2,3,4 and back again to B1 as original and still no cookie. But it should be no problem now since he got a new replacement. :bigsmile:

Anyway, this could be just a really bad luck for him to have a defect one from factory, who knows ? :doh:

Really appreciate if anyone know how to backup the firmware properly on this [B][U]sata[/U][/B] samsung ODD, please share.

Hi,[quote=VBin;2079457]Is there any better method to ensure the correct firmware before flashing ?[/quote]Normally, the check which is done by official Samsung flashers (included in firmware package) is good enough to prevent flashing a 203D firmware onto a 203B or similar.

He used Tsdnwin.exe and waited after the progress bar finished at 100% on every flash. Spent his whole day re-flashing and even back to B0,1,2,3,4 and back again to B1 as original and still no cookie. But it should be no problem now since he got a new replacement. :bigsmile:
I nearly lost a SH-S182D during a firmware update. Reason was a not-so-compatible IDE controller the drive was connected to.

Anyway, this could be just a really bad luck for him to have a defect one from factory, who knows ? :doh:
This is another possibility.

Really appreciate if anyone know how to backup the firmware properly on this [B][U]sata[/U][/B] samsung ODD, please share.
Unfortunately, there is no firmware backup tool for Samsung drives publicly available.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the your prompt reply, looks like I have to bite the bullet. :smiley:

Hope “someday” CK could came up with a program that able to backup the firmware.

Since Samsung drives are based on MediaTek chips, won’t someone release a tool like MTKFlash or LTNFlash or the Liteon Flash Utility?