Is it possible to convert a headphone jack to a microphone jack?

Is it possible to convert a headphone jack to a microphone jack?

I have this Teac usb mp3 cd player and i was wondering if there is anyway that i could wire up something to put into the headphone jack so i could plug a microphone or ipod in.

I don’t think it’s possible, but if it is, that would be really great.

Thanks,
Luke

It is said there are no dumb questions.This one comes close to being one.
The headphone jack is basically a speaker output.The key word beinG OUTPUT.
The microphone or any other device you are trying to get to create Audio that will INPUT into needs to be plugged into an INPUT jack.
So unless your Teac usb mp3 cd player has an input jack of some kind you can’t input into it.

LOL. Try this…start Audacity or some other audio recorder. Select Microphone or Digital Mic, and sing into you headphones…:eek: you might be surprised!

Right, you can use almost ANY headphones to RECORD something.

But not plugged into a headphone jack.You would have to plug the headphones into a mic jack.
You can’t do that if there is no mic jack on the unit.

We are getting slightly off topic here…but it´s an interesting point.

At the moment I´m in an office, with just my laptop…so, no mic or headphones.
I started Audacity…set “microphone” and shouted into the lappy´s speakers.
et voilà …it recorded!

:doh:

:stuck_out_tongue:

This of course has nothing to do with the OP´s idea of trying to record directly to his TEAC MP3 player…or iPod (actually it´s not really clear what the point was). …but this article might help a bit http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2007/05/18/ipod-mic-shootout.html?page=1

Right on, Dean.

I had to learn that its possible also few years ago, and its true. :wink:

[QUOTE=deanimator;2283034]At the moment I´m in an office, with just my laptop…so, no mic or headphones.
I started Audacity…set “microphone” and shouted into the lappy´s speakers.
et voilà …it recorded![/QUOTE]

I trust you were alone in the office when you did this, otherwise it might have produced a few raised eyebrows :wink:

LMFAO!

midders

Some PC soundcards have reconfigurable ports, especially the on-board sound on recent Gigabyte motherboards. For example, one of my PCs with a Gigabyte motherboard can have its 6 audio ports independently configured either as input or output. This also saves having to pull out the PC to see where an audio cable is being plugged into: :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried this by plugging my speakers into the “Line In” port, chose “Line Out” from this box and the sound came form the speakers as if they were still in the original port.

However, as far as a set top box, Hi-Fi, etc. goes, I am not aware of any with a dual purpose input/output port. In order to convert the port, your Hi-Fi would most likely require a line-in of some sort already, as the headphone port would need to be rewired up to some sort of audio input, e.g. the audio feed between the CD player mechanism and the amplifier circuit.

Just out of curiosity, does your Teac player have a radio? If so, a work-around would be to use an FM transmitter adapter with the iPod and tune the radio to the selected frequency. There are also FM based microphones, although not common now, where one tunes a regular FM radio to the frequency output of the Microphone as a simple karaoke system.

Thanks for the replies. Once you think about it, it is was a pretty silly question. But you never know…

[QUOTE=luke18;2286081]Thanks for the replies. Once you think about it, it is was a pretty silly question. But you never know…[/QUOTE]

There’s no such thing as a stupid question, but those are the easiest to answer :bigsmile:

Sláinte

midders