Is it OK to wash CD's?

I hope this isn’t too much of a newbie question, but…

Is it OK to wash CD-ROMs (i.e. original CDs) under warm water? I mean, not just “wiping with a damp cloth”, but actually running the CD-ROM under the tap to clean it.

I wouldn’t make a habit of it. also don’t run it through the laundry or the dishwasher. or the carwash.9 it might be ok but i would just use a plastic polish such as novus 1-800-548-6872 sorry dont have the time to look up web site.

Originally posted by Loosley

Is it OK to wash CD-ROMs (i.e. original CDs) under warm water? I mean, not just “wiping with a damp cloth”, but actually running the CD-ROM under the tap to clean it.
Nema problema ! :bigsmile: I regularly do that .

[B]I hope this isn’t too much of a newbie question, but…

Is it OK to wash CD-ROMs (i.e. original CDs) under warm water? I mean, not just “wiping with a damp cloth”, but actually running the CD-ROM under the tap to clean it. [/B]

I regularly do it:bigsmile: no problem m8. i won’t recomend warm water though.

Its better than those CD cleaning liquids. You see, nature has a solution for everything. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I opened some jeweled cased CD’s that were stored improperly and found the they had a green mold covering each disc making them opaque. Each disc had been individually wrapped and sealed, which trapped moisture inside. I took all fifty of them out of their wrappers and washed the green mold off the disc with a liquid soap and warm water. I have burned all of them and they are all fine. I haven’t had one problem with any of them. They have passed the cdspeed CD quality check many times, if anyone is interested they are Taiyo Yudens that were sold under the Sony label. I have also washed pressed CD’s without any problems.

I have had some CDs get so dirty, that the only way they could be cleaned was by using soap & warm (not hot) water :smiley: Just note that washing CDs will not get rid of surface scratches, etc., but at least improve the readibility of them by removing dust, finger prints, etc.

If you plan on washing CDs, just be sure to completely dry them off first as getting dropplets of water in your CD-ROM/Recorder would not be a good idea. :eek:

So basically what I did was rinse a few pressed (original) CD-ROMs under warm water for 10-20 seconds each, and then promptly dry them off using a regular cotton towel.

No harm done, I hope?

What I’m really worried about is wrecking the plastic coating on top of the CD, which would expose the underlying aluminum layer to the air and oxidation; this would destroy the CD. Has anyone heard of this happening due to exposure to water?

What I’m really worried about is wrecking the plastic coating on top of the CD, which would expose the underlying aluminum layer to the air and oxidation; this would destroy the CD. Has anyone heard of this happening due to exposure to water?

me & my friends regularly wash CDs. no harm as to anyone of it as yet.

we have washed pressed CD-ROMs, blank CD-Rs, burnt CD-Rs & so on. no probs m8. well i haven’t used soap & warm water anytime though.

My job of cleaning the disc is always completed by room temp water.

Originally posted by TerminatorShawn
[B]

me & my friends regularly wash CDs. no harm as to anyone of it as yet.

we have washed pressed CD-ROMs, blank CD-Rs, burnt CD-Rs & so on. no probs m8. well i haven’t used soap & warm water anytime though.

My job of cleaning the disc is always completed by room temp water. [/B]

i wouldnt reccomend washing blank cds. the rest are ok to wash

Originally posted by cd pirate
[B]

i wouldnt reccomend washing blank cds. the rest are ok to wash [/B]

no probs m8. you just have to ensure that you make them completely dry before popping them into the burner.

do you have any special reason to say so. if yes, tell me know your experience.

Originally posted by TerminatorShawn
[B]

no probs m8. you just have to ensure that you make them completely dry before popping them into the burner.

do you have any special reason to say so. if yes, tell me know your experience. [/B]

yes i do have a special reason to say so. if you get smudges or fingerprits or anything that blemishes the surface of a blank cd then the laser will not burn very well at that point. you can actually see with your own eyes where the cd has not been burned properly. test for yourself if you dont believe. get a cycnine cdr eg taiyo yuden, verbatim, sony (becuase they are easier to do the test with). purposely run you finger along any part of the cds surace trying to get a smudge. or wash it and make sure you get some smudges or anything that blemishes the cd. now burn it at any speed you want. after it is done put it up against a strong light like a desk light or whatever. you will then see what i mean. i dont think it will affect the cd too badly but it will certainly raise the amount of C1/C2 errors.

@cd pirate: What is your comment on my experience with the Sony Taiyo Yudens, see my earlier post, where I had green mold making them opaque. As I had nothing to lose I washed them in warm water and liquid soap with a sponge until they were clear. I certainly tried to avoid making “smudges or anything that blemishes the cds,” and am pretty sure that I was successful, but I had to get the mold off. As I said before, I haven’t had even one of the fifty plus disc ever give me a problem, and I tested all of them right after I burned them, and have been testing them at random ever since. Certainly zero failures under the CD-Speed scandisk, all green so far, out of that many disc is statistically significant. I wouldn’t recommend letting your disc get in the shape that mine did, but again I don’t think anyone is going to just take a new disc and wash it for no reason. This is better performance than some of the disc I burned straight out of the box.

[B]

yes i do have a special reason to say so. if you get smudges or fingerprits or anything that blemishes the surface of a blank cd then the laser will not burn very well at that point. you can actually see with your own eyes where the cd has not been burned properly. test for yourself if you dont believe. get a cycnine cdr eg taiyo yuden, verbatim, sony (becuase they are easier to do the test with). purposely run you finger along any part of the cds surace trying to get a smudge. or wash it and make sure you get some smudges or anything that blemishes the cd. now burn it at any speed you want. after it is done put it up against a strong light like a desk light or whatever. you will then see what i mean. i dont think it will affect the cd too badly but it will certainly raise the amount of C1/C2 errors. [/B]

thanks for the info. But, why do we wash CDs :wink: ? Certainly for removing finger prints, smudges, dirt, etc. thats affecting the reading of the disk. Also, I always clean the CD dry with a lint free cloth. this doesn’t allow the water to dry & make a smudge their.

Also, i don’t wash my blanks regularly. Just when the blanks are bad, has fingerprints, dust particles (some unbranded CDs do have such things).

I have washed princos (blue dye ones). Never seen any symptoms of week burning & certainly no C2 errors. i don’t check CDs for C1 errors though.

Originally posted by BlackWolf
[BI don’t think anyone is going to just take a new disc and wash it for no reason. [/B]

exactly. :bigsmile:

Originally posted by BlackWolf
@cd pirate: What is your comment on my experience with the Sony Taiyo Yudens, see my earlier post, where I had green mold making them opaque. As I had nothing to lose I washed them in warm water and liquid soap with a sponge until they were clear. I certainly tried to avoid making “smudges or anything that blemishes the cds,” and am pretty sure that I was successful, but I had to get the mold off. As I said before, I haven’t had even one of the fifty plus disc ever give me a problem, and I tested all of them right after I burned them, and have been testing them at random ever since. Certainly zero failures under the CD-Speed scandisk, all green so far, out of that many disc is statistically significant. I wouldn’t recommend letting your disc get in the shape that mine did, but again I don’t think anyone is going to just take a new disc and wash it for no reason. This is better performance than some of the disc I burned straight out of the box.

well of course washing them will get you better results than burning them with mould attachted. anyway if washing your dirty blanks works, keep doing it;)

@cd pirate: I think the idea is to wash them only as necessary and to avoid smudges and blemishes. In my case the only alternative was the trash. Thanks for the feedback.

[B]

well of course washing them will get you better results than burning them with mould attachted. anyway if washing your dirty blanks works, keep doing it;) [/B]

thanx for encouraging. :wink:

On the discussion on the merits of washing disks. I think if the disk is for archive just use a new blank disk, if it is just for general use wash it if it works but you could just use the polish I suggested in the previous post about Novus polish. It works great and does not get it wet! I am not sure what the printed side is coated with but if it is damaged by moisture why bother getting it wet?

if you have a printed cd label & don’t want to spoil it, don’t dip the cd in water. just drop a few droplets of water on the burning side & clean it carefully.

what exactly is this novus polish. is it specially made for CDs?

Novus is a plastic polish that I found years ago. I was doing some projects and had to remove numerous scratches from clear acrylic sheet, and figured that since Novus worked on that it would work on cds. I have since used it to repair alot of unplayable cds and software that would not load because of severe scratches. I just looked at the web site and they now list it in their suggested uses. Go figure. There is Heavy scratch remover , Light scratch remover and Polish. The Polish works great for cleaning and the scratch removers on damaged disks, It is fairly inexpensive and blows away the retail cleaners/polishes you find for repairing cds. Try it ! http://www.noscratch.com.