Is it ok to kill yourself?

Saw some log of a person who killed himself during an irc chat.
Is it ok to kill yourself ?

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
Saw some log of a person who killed himself during an irc chat.
Is it ok to kill yourself ?

Whoa, he must had windows as OS. I can imagine the poor guy… :wink:

If you want to suicide, do it… Just while doing (or after you did it) make sure you’ll cause no pain (any form of pain) to others. If you’re to cause pain let me kill you.
:stuck_out_tongue:

/ehm, are you for real Mr. B?

I read about that. The guy overdosed on pills prescribed to him by his doctors. He was being watched through a webcam by other people in a chat toom. SOme goaded him on, but later on they began to realize that something was wrong and tried calling the cops. Weird.

Well, I always say, live and let live. If someone decides he doesn’t want to be here anymore, it is his choice. Of course things are different when you hurt other people with your death. I believe life, despite all it’s flaws, still is the most beautiful thing ever made. Life ain’t fair, but it is good.

Sort of unrelated but I just read a really good quote:

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his

You have to love Gen. Patton :cool:

Suicide is a very selfish act…

Quitting life is easy, continue it is the real challenge!

From a psychiatric point of view, people that desire to commit suicide or even make suicidal attempts are considered to suffer from a psychiatric disease … so commiting suicide can generally be considered as a symptom of their disease (a deadly one). It is treated as a symptom with medicine so that it doesnt manifest itself. People with suicidal tendencies when treated right stop having the desire to so - they are most of the times successfully treated.

From that point of view, no it aint ok to commit suicide, cause it would be just a manifestation of ones disease which can be treated.

But imagine your life sucks. Little amount of friends , no work , money ? what’s money ? and the family beats ya half to death everytime they do something stupid. And when you do try to make contact with society , society and all its evils rejects you or beats you to pulp. That’s not cowardice , thats being scared… And it sure as hell no disease !

I mean , some things are better than living aren’t they ?
Isn’t it freedom for some ?

And if you lose most of your family, you could kill yourself to “be with them” or “ease the pain”.

Like this one guy got drunk, drove his car into a tree and got killed. His mom had pressured him to join the army and she felt responsible for his actions due to this and she took her own life a few months later. What a screwed up familY! Yes, they were from Tennessee.

If someone is going to kill themselves, I tell them: Good. Do it and stop breathing the oxygen that you don’t deserve. They are refered to as “oxygen thieves” in my book. Am I cold and shallow? Maybe.

Did they actually go to that guy’s house and find him dead? Because it would be cool to take like a bunch of white “pills” which are actually M&M’s or Skittles (Yes, there are white ones…the skittles are nasty “pineapple”). Everyone would watch in horror as you act like you are passing out & stuff.

Also, it would even be better if you make a video of yourself blowing your head off. Then put the webcam in front of the TV and watch the fun.

F’ng with people is fun.

even if your life sucks and run out of friends and family, yove always got cdfreaks, your access anywhere family.

Originally posted by kwkard
even if your life sucks and run out of friends and family, yove always got cdfreaks, your access anywhere family.

well , if that’s the hope some people are looking for , i think they overestimate the community feeling a little.

@BadAscii ; that irc guy actually had a webcam and o/d’ed live on the webcam… people were worried after they saw that… Stupid thing is that the mother of the 17 year old kid tries to sue all those online friends of his… stupid internet … stupid mother… dunno

then there’s the darwin awards… actually mocking death… stupid deaths yes… but nevertheless they were people too and the people at the website of darwinaward hardly can know the entire background on the who and why of the act… humour at someone’s highest expense.

no… in that case , the internet in all its forms can be sick… but to kill yourself for it … i dunno. a lot of people can crack given enough pressure. Sad thing is that killing yourself is illegal in most countries and if you fail you can get arrested for it… how sick is that ?

Sure … if you take others along your destructive path i can relate why there is such a law , but nobody can decide for me what the hell i want to do with my life. Being alive is no disease and longing for death usually isn’t as well.

a few days ago i watched a piece on assisted suicies in switzerland. The law is that its ok to kill yourself and to have some assistance, but you must commit the final act that kills you. As for me, i don’t think the government of any country as the right to tell you that its illegal to kill yourself.

Number one, its kind of rediculous. Its not like they can arrest you after you’re dead.

Number two, if a person feels the need to kill themselves and thinks that life is not worth living, its their own damn business.

Number three, i have never had the need to kill myself, but if i did i certainly would not want the goverment to interfere. And i agree with what Tax said,

Suicide is a very selfish act…

Just because you are suffering for one reason or another, doesn’t mean you should make others suffer with having to deal with your death.

This is no secret in the literal sense. I thought of killing myself at least 10,000 times in the late 1980s and early 1990s. There could be times when killing yourself can be a little helpful to others around you. You occupy space. You spend money. You consume air. The government needs to spend tax on you. Your brothers and sisters will be able to eat a little more if you are not living. Or you suffer too much and you are too conscious and sensitive of things and feelings that happen inside and outside of you. How much did I matter when so many people around me were killed so easily and I was so unsure of what I could do to change things in the near futures?

@Hemispasm

That may be true of some societies but not of all.

There are too many who kill themselves. The most unfortunate thing I think in the country I am in is that the fathers often kill their sons, daughters, and wives before killing themselves at last. I myself was often told to kill myself by my own father.

I have no desire to live too long. The instant I am sure of my uselessness I will cease to exist. I doubted whether I could survive beyond the age of 18. That was enough.

That may be true of some societies but not of all
I guess you are right …societies like the one you’re describing wasn’t what i was thinking of when making my post earlier. In such societies psychiatry is the least develloped science, so who in hell would give a darn about it?

It does apply though to most other cases where the suicidal person has a caring family friends and perceives “going to the army” or whatever as a deadend of which the only way out is killing himself. That is wrong…

I can understand the opinion that the gonvernment should not interfere with the decision of the suicidal person, but keep in mind that it does so regarding this person as being a sick person that can be healed.

Originally posted by Kenshin
I myself was often told to kill myself by my own father.

Sorry Kenshin, but what kind of human is a father, telling his own son to suicide? I’m sure the community you were living was different and cruel, but…
Don’t know what to say. Just sorry, you had to go through that.

Originally posted by RedHatted
Sorry Kenshin, but what kind of human is a father, telling his own son to suicide? I’m sure the community you were living was different and cruel, but…
Don’t know what to say. Just sorry, you had to go through that.

Not only in his community. If you have parents who care and raise you with all their love, it is very difficult to understand that things can be different. I have realized this because of good friends who weren’t as lucky as I am. Their parents put too much pressure on them, mentally crack them,… I always find it interesting that you have to be eightteen and have a license to drive a car, if you want to get a job you need a certain form of education,… but there are no rules or obligations for getting children.

Reading through people’s replies here, I feel that I perhaps should elaborate on my previous reply a bit.

I feel that you always have a reason to live, there is always someone who is affected by you being alive. There is always something you contribute to society, even though it may not always seem that way.

The only reason why I could imagine people ending their own life is when it has reached an end and the suffering is nearly inbearable. This could be after a long period of serious illness for which there is no cure and you are bound to die within a few months and those months will be a long winding road full of pain. Another possibility is when you are far into your nineties and your body is completely worn out and the time ahead is again full of pain and misery, only to be controlled by heavy medication.

In cases like the above (or similar) I can imagine that you and your close ones decide it is better to end it right there, but in all other cases I think it is a very selfish act to kill yourself. If it is not because of people you leave behind, it may be the person (or persons) you hurt when they find you dead (maid, neighbour, fisherman) or hurt in the process of killing yoursel (engine driver, people on the street below the building you plan to jump off).

It is far more challenging to continue to live, change your way of thinking and work on your life so that you can leave all the bad things behind you, there are people who can help you, if you only let them.

But perhaps I look at things too lightly, perhaps I am privileged and enjoyed a good life when growing up, enjoying a good job, new apartment and very good friends at the moment and my prospects are good…but this is how I look at it now…nobody knows what one would do if the situation was different…only one way to find that out and I really don’t want to.

Remember, the biggest challenge is life, take on that challenge head on and beat it at its own game!

Suicide is the last thing I’d ever do :wink:

No really, I think suicide is weak. I can imagine situations where suicide is the best way to go (although I’d rather call it euthanasia) but in general I think it’s pretty weak. Often ppl don’t see the way to go because of things that happened to them or their loved ones. I believe in the fact that there is always something good for everybody, no matter how hard it can be to find that good thing.

What annoys me on ppl killing suicide, is the damage they do to others. Things like jumping for a train etc may traumatize ppl and that really stinks. If you want to commit suicide? Well that’s “ok”, but don’t harm any other human being.

Last tuesday, some guy I know committed suicide. I knew him from school; he was always a little strange and had no friends at all… so he jumped for a train, with about 250 people withnessing that… really sucks eh?

I think a very viable alternative to suicide is to just join the army, the navy, or the marines. You become assimilated into a society that sets your goals before you and tells you what to do. IN a way you lose your individuality and you freedom but it takes care of all the problems of loneliness and feeling that you are lost. I know that this might not always be true, but i see the armed forces as a way to depart from your troubles in life by clearing them up.

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
I think a very viable alternative to suicide is to just join the army, the navy, or the marines. You become assimilated into a society that sets your goals before you and tells you what to do. IN a way you lose your individuality and you freedom but it takes care of all the problems of loneliness and feeling that you are lost. I know that this might not always be true, but i see the armed forces as a way to depart from your troubles in life by clearing them up.

i kinda agree on that. It can sound very very rotten to say it , but some people who have these kind of problems can be happy in a secure and closed environment. They don’t really need to see much of the world (then again , as navy officer you might :slight_smile: ) or keep themselves occupied with social contacts on all levels.

Joining a military force may not be the solution for everything , but most of the things there are real and in order. This can give a cosy environment for the mentally unstable.