Is It OK To Keep Laptop On 24-7?

vbimport

I keep my desktop on 24-7, torrenting, doing different tasks, etc. and never had a problem. I bought a laptop in Feb. and never had one before, is it OK to keep it on 24-7? The room I keep it in is well ventilated. It’s a Compaq A900 series btw, thanks peoples.

should be fine as long as ventilation is good (ie on a hard surface and not carpet or a bed or something) you can use coretemp to make sure the processor isn’t overheating. for a free way to get a little more ventilation you can put bottle caps under the little rubber feet to raise it up a bit. personally I’ve run my laptop folding 24/7 before and it did fine so I imagine torrenting would be a piece of cake :slight_smile:

I keep it on a hard surface, I read about that when I first got it because I heard keeping it on a bed was bad for it’s ventilation. I got coretemp and it’s a kool lil’ proggie, my temp is staying between 49C and 55C, is that good?

that’s good, sounds like you got it covered

bean55

Just for reference, I’ll tell you what else is good for keeping lappies cool (expanding on jwill’s little feet suggestion) - you know those wire cake racks for cooling cakes from the oven? Try setting your lappy on one of those :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Robert De Niro;2044919]I keep it on a hard surface, I read about that when I first got it because I heard keeping it on a bed was bad for it’s ventilation. I got coretemp and it’s a kool lil’ proggie, my temp is staying between 49C and 55C, is that good?[/QUOTE]

sounds good :iagree:

edit: thats a good idea Arachne, I might have to steal that from ya :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=jwill427;2044989]
edit: thats a good idea Arachne, I might have to steal that from ya :p[/QUOTE]

Hehe, be my guest :flower:…then you’d have to put in your sig:

“Laptop: Celeron 520 @ 1.6ghz WCG (Help Conquer Cancer WUs) when plugged in (wire cake rack cooled):bigsmile:

indeed :bigsmile:
if I do that I’ll have to stage a pic with my lappy sharing a rack with some fresh baked cookies :bigsmile::stuck_out_tongue:

Hilarious! Great ideas though, gonna have to hit up the mall and get me a rack, think cosmetically it’ll be easy on the eyes, it being metal and all.

Metal might mess with the RF but let us know how it works out.

I was gonna run to the mall and check some out but it looks like I only have time tonight to go to Best Buy for some Verbatims, if I do end up getting a rack, I will be sure to let ya’ll know how it works.

Nice one Robert, I’d be interested too - I suggested it mainly because it’ll keep the lappy a good inch or so from whatever surface you have it on, and obviously it’s not just one big flat surface, there’s room underneath the lappy for air to circulate. :slight_smile:

ALLSOP makes some nice racks. Here are some examples.

:cool::cool:

I’ve had my laptop running for the past couple of months 24/7 on a dinner table with no problems

Hey platinumsword, that top one is really nice looking :cool:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2045394]Hey platinumsword, that top one is really nice looking :cool:[/QUOTE]Sweet!!! Screw the cake rack, I’m gettin’ that top one!!!:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Robert De Niro;2045436]Sweet!!! Screw the cake rack, I’m gettin’ that top one!!!:)[/QUOTE]

Hehe, I’d be tempted too. Certainly is a looker :wink:

Let us know how it performs if you get one :wink:

Something else to consider,

Coolermaster’s notepal series

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=morecategory&finalflag=Y&tbcate=1&cateid=000016

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=Homeless;2045390]I’ve had my laptop running for the past couple of months 24/7 on a dinner table with no problems[/QUOTE]Same here. :iagree:
Don’t understand what these guys talk about.

A modern (C2D) lappy produces less then 20 watts of heat in total (when not multitask). Table or whatever surface you put it on will absorb all that and much more.
Can’t understand why pay the extra $$$ member [I]platinumsword[/I] is advertising. :disagree:

[I]Edit,[/I] adding a pic of my 2GHz lappy CPU temp ATM. 24/7 wireless and downloading legal torrent files. :wink:
[B]Not even a sweat, and running at 800MHz…[/B]
:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2045681]Same here. :iagree:
Don’t understand what these guys talk about.

A modern (C2D) lappy produces less then 20 watts of heat in total (when not multitask). Table or whatever surface you put it on will absorb all that and much more.
Can’t understand why pay the extra $$$ member [I]platinumsword[/I] is advertising. :disagree:

[I]Edit,[/I] adding a pic of my 2GHz lappy CPU temp ATM. 24/7 wireless and downloading legal torrent files. :wink:
[B]Not even a sweat, and running at 800MHz…[/B]
:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Not all people have a modern (C2D) lappy, pinto2 and I know for a fact that some of them can get pretty uncomfortable in your lap :iagree: (Mine’s a cool PIII and is great @cdfreaks in bed :p).