Is it normal for cds to get really hot in the cd rom drive?

vbimport

i usually prefer listening to my music cds by having them in the cd rom drive instead of using softwarre media player to encode them to mp3s as i think the sound is best that way, the same goes for a flight simulation pc game i have as i don’t really know how to use cd images so i just leave the game disc in the other dvd rom drive and never takes it out.

the question i have is that because i really like to listen to these cds all the time (ok they’re really special to me because it was a gift from someone years ago) they tend to get very hot which i know is suppose to be normal, but the heat on the disc is sometimes so disturbingly hot whenever i take them back out again after leaving it in for months and months inside my pc it began to occur to me that what i’m doing is no different than placing a disc to direct sunlight exposure, and in this case, the laser beam of the cd rom drive and chasis heat of the pc for so many months, so do you think it was bad of me to leave it in like that? can cds really take this amount of heat from the drive laser and being spun at such high speeds all the time (especially when i play my flight sim, and sometimes i just mute the player but the music cd continue spinning)? since cds aren’t suppose to be very durable and will break/melt under heat?
i just think its not real music experience if the music doesn’t come from the cds. i hope the sound/data on the disc won’t go dead or melted the metal layer inside the disc…

thanks for putting my mind at ease, thanks for always answering my questions and i know some of them are pretty silly too, thanks for helping me out everyone!

tomoyoafter wrote,

i usually prefer listening to my music cds by having them in the cd rom drive instead of using softwarre media player to encode them to mp3s as i [I][B]think[/B][/I] the sound is best that way

FYI, you don’t have to convert them to a lossy compression format like mp3…You can rip the CD’s and use a LOSSLESS format(e.g flac…Much better than having a CD in the drive just for playing music, when you can just play from the HDD…Your CD/DVD drive(s) will fail(they all do) eventually…Heck, backup to an external hdd as well…
And as far as you “think the sound is best that way”, have you compared by conducting a listening test(ABX)…While there are certainly some folks that can hear the difference between a lossy mp3 and the original file, test(ABX) results have shown the opposite.
It all comes down to what bitrate and encoder was used to convert…Lame being one of the best…And I did not say the best, for those paying attention.:wink:
Long story short, backup your CDs, and put them away, b/c sooner or later you’ll regret you didn’t!!
Good luck!
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16295