Is it mostly the firmware?

vbimport

From past posts in different forums I’ve learned that a DVD drive characteristics can change quickly depending on the manuf firware release.
For example a 2.4X DL drive can become a 4+X DL drive (and this usually is all they have to do to change the drive number). A drive can go from not being able to bitset, to able. A drive can go from having poor media compatability to better compatability etc.

My question is: can firmware make an average drive a good/great drive?

Based on what little I know, I also understand that the chipset is also important, but from what I’ve read, lots of drives use the same chipset, so it seems that the only difference is the firmware, labeling and wrapping paper.

Most definetly, all new drives need firmware upgrades to improve.

the nec 3500 is an exellent example. when it was first introduced it was an average drive. after many firmware updates, it is now concidered to be one of the best. most folks would rather have the 3500 then the 3520 at this point. however, firmware can only do so much. if a drive has shity hardware no amount of fw updates can make it great. the liteon 1213 and 1633 are good examples of this. even after numerous fw updates they are still some of the worst burners availiable.

spryfly,

Thanks for your comments.

So, aside from doing research in this forum, how do you know if its just bad firmware, or bad hardware?

If it’s bad firmware, there’s always hope, and I assume most good manufacturers will eventually get it right.

In your example, is there a way to know if the nec 3520 problems are due to bad hardware or firmware? If it’s bad firmware, can’t the engineers put the knowledge that they gained in fixing the nec 3500 toward the nec 3520 before they release it?

what nec 3520 problems are you referring to please?

I own neither machine, however, my perception for the earlier posts is that the nec 3500 is a better drive than the nec 3520.

Let me rephrase, is the 3500 a better drive because of hardware or due to firmware. I sure it’s a combination of both. But as a newbie I’m curious. I’m not picking on nec (I’ve heard they are great drives) I’m just using the difference between the two as an example to formulate my question, and since they are both made by the same company, I figured I would be stepping on anyone’s feet.

the 3500 has matured and been developed over time, were as the 3520 is a new drive with different hardware and needs time to develop.

ditto…only time will tell.

fyi…good brands in gererall (in no particular order): lg, benq, plextor, nec, pioneer. any new drive you were to get from any of the manufactures should serve you well. they all have their +/-. find the drive that has the features you need and decide based on that. or, you can be like some of us and buy mutiple drives for specific purposes. this way you always have the right drive for the right task. :wink:

[the 3500 has matured and been developed over time, were as the 3520 is a new drive with different hardware and needs time to develop.]

Understood, however my earlier question was

["So, aside from doing research in this forum, how do you know if its just bad firmware, or bad hardware?

If it’s bad firmware, there’s always hope, and I assume most good manufacturers will eventually get it right"]

Based on your comment I can see that the 3520 will eventually be as good as the 3500. However, in an earlier post spryfly commented

[“the liteon 1213 and 1633 are good examples of this. even after numerous fw updates they are still some of the worst burners availiable.”]

So as a newbie what I’m asking is: At what point do people conclude that a drive is a poor burner and that firmware updates are a waste of time.

Never mind,

When I was formulating my reply, spryfly answered my question. I guess the technology is still new.

the 3520 may or may not wind up as good as the 3500. their is no way to know right now. see my previous post…you beat me by a minuite or so… :slight_smile: