Is it legal to keep tunebite MP3's after subscription expires?

vbimport

OK, here’s my question. I subscribe to YahooMusic Unlimited and use tunebite to re-record the tracks to MP3’s for my MP3 player. YahooMusic has been bought out (or whatever) and will be discontinuing service. They will be changing to Rhapsody (I believe) with much higher subscription rates.

When my current subscription expires, can I legally keep the songs that I “tunebite-ed”? All the DRM WMA files will obviously not work anymore and will be deleted.

I really want to know what is legal and what is not.
(I’ve searched the forums and the internet but wasn’t really able to find a solid answer…if there is one.)

Thanks for any input

Hi and Welcome!

at first, I would have a look into the contract (or terms of service) you agreed to when you joined this service.

If the music you paid for is considered as bought and not rented, then it is your right to use the backups you made. IMO and IANAL*

Michael
*: [U]I[/U] [U]A[/U]m [U]N[/U]ot [U]A[/U] [U]L[/U]awyer

NO, it’s not safe and legal to maintain even after subscripiton has completed.

You know,the same thing happened last summer with the msn music store,or something like that when they announced they’d be discontinuing supporting the servers and anyone who bought music from them was faced with losing it.But,as far as I know,if you keep the music for your personal use and don’t spread it over filesharing networks there shouldn’t be any problems with keeping the copies u have.After all I don’t get it why anyone still uses drm on the music they sell.I think I heard that nokia launched some time ago a service for selling music,which has drm in it. C’mon people,that’s not nice.

Actually, depending on where you live, the use of TuneBite is an illegal act by itself.

Yeah,I seem to have heard this before on several occasions.Although I don’t get it why,if the drm is not cracked and the resulting files are just recordings of the original files.I could as well record them with the built in sound recorder from Windows…Of course this would suck cause the quality would be just horrible but this is another work around this.

For any music you have bought to keep, I don’t see anything wrong with creating DRM-free versions of the music. In this case, it is like taping a purchased CD to play in a car stereo that only plays cassette tapes.

However, I’ve encounted mixed views of creating DRM-free versions of subscription music. For example, while it’s against the DMCA to circumvent anti-piracy measures on DRM protected songs, attempting to break DRM protection is not the same as re-recording the music. Also, if one deletes all their DRM-free versions when their subscription to the music expires, I can’t see any legal issue with this.

On the other hand, if one chooses to keep DRM-free copies of subscription music after it expires, this is like making a copies of DVD rentals to keep after the originals are returned. In this case, the user effectively has obtained music that they have not paid for. The risk of getting caught doing this is unlikely any worse than taping songs off the radio, unlike sharing songs over the Internet, but it’s not legal unless all the songs the user chose to re-record don’t have any restrictions by the artists or copyright holders on doing so.

well, ok you might be right.but let’s talk itunes. As I heard they intend to give up drm,although some people said that your email address would be attached to every song u buy from them so it would’t be smart sharing them.But the best part is that u can upgrade the songs u have from them to drm free versions,but for a fee of 30 cents per song of course.what do you say about that,is it fair to have to pay once again for the songs u already bought?