Is it just me or does Windows 7 always

quit burning CDs and DVDs after a week or two?

I will install a fresh copy of Windows 7 and by the time a need to burn a CD, every 3 months on average, the OS will no longer recognize the burner, or it will act like every disk it bad.

Once I was able to swap out the burner for another burner and it worked, then that one quit and I put the old one in and it worked. I also works for a week or two after each OS reinstal. I can only remember this happening with Windows 7, not 8 or XP.

My possible explanations:

-Rootkits

-Windows 7 copy protection crap keeps breaking CD-ROM driver

-I’m on some kind of secret piracy, do not fly list and the government keeps disabling it…

Have you tried deleting upper and lower filters?

The easy way of doing this is to use ImgBurn (a free burning program). Install ImgBurn, start the program, click on any of the options…Write files/folders to disc will do. Then click on Tools–>Filter Driver Load Order and remove any filters found there.

Reboot. See if that helps.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2679798]Have you tried deleting upper and lower filters?
The easy way of doing this is to use ImgBurn (a free burning program). Install ImgBurn, start the program, click on any of the options…Write files/folders to disc will do. Then click on Tools–>Filter Driver Load Order and remove any filters found there.
Reboot. See if that helps.[/QUOTE]

I did that a couple of years ago, I used regedit. I can’t remember if it worked or not… I usually google the problem and find tons of hits but nothing that works and either swap the driver or reinstall windows.

[B]I will try imgburn, I need a free burning app. THANKS! [/B]

This sounds like like a symptom of one of the things on my list, and just a work around?

deleted, posted “I just figured out what my old user account was… Arrggg!” with wrong account…

I just figured out what my old user account was… Arrggg!

Wow, I can’t believe it has been 4 years since My last post here, LOL!! I realized that optical media was totally obsolete about then, and became total obsessed with metal detecting about 3 years ago, lol!

What is really funny is how I can’t resize a stupid linux partition on my Cyanogenmod10 boot-microSD for the nook! I need gt-parted on a bootable cd, but I can’t burn one because windows 7 on my work pc and home pc both won’t burn. Can’t find a utility to do it in windows… So I have a several partitions totalling 2gb, and 29gb unpartitioned that windows can’t touch. At least it works on the nook. Drains the battery pretty bad…

Certain programs you install will add filters, or alter filter order.

Another problem child is iTunes on Windows systems. It doesn’t show up in the filter order, but does sometimes cause issues in cd/dvd performance.

And there are certain settings in other programs that can be an issue. Daemon Tools was one of these in the past, but I’d have to look it up again, as I don’t remember the problem off the top of my head.

[QUOTE=RyanChappelle;2679802]I just figured out what my old user account was… Arrggg![/QUOTE]
If you like I can merge your two accounts. Just let me know if you want to keep the old or the new one.

[Update]Accounts merged[/Update]

The last computer I deleted the upper & Lower filters on was a computer that
NEVER booted again after I had done so.

Even a “Repair windows” run off of the installation disc.

I wound up reinstalling windows from scratch on a shiny new SSD.