Is it illegal to bring burnt computer disks to Canada?

In a few months time I will be migrating to Canada and I want to know if it’s ok or illegal to bring burnt computer disks over. The disks that I will be bringing are in cd-r and dvd-r format and the total count are around 900+ disks but not more that a thousand. 85% of the disks contains movies, games, music and documentaries that were downloaded from bittorrent (like demonoid, TPB and among others) and the remaining percent are family photos, family videos and some other personal stuff. Obviously as an immigrant I have to declare all my personal items (including my disks) because personal items are tax free as long as I declare them as personal. It’s hard to dispose or leave it here in my country of origin as these disks are like my collection and I don’t even intend to sell them or even make money off of em’ and they are just personal copies.

Do you guys think there will be a problem at customs when they see my disks? Do you think they will question me about them or do you think they would look through them one by one? It would be great if you can share me your experiences or anyone who had the same or similar situation like mine who would bring over a lot of disks to Canada. Take note that I’m not a movie pirate (or whatever you call them).

Honestly, I’ve asked a few guys from the forums and some are Canadians, all of them said that it’s alright, and it is not illegal to bring over burnt disk but it is illegal to sell them. There was one guy from the US said that he had no problem bringing thousands when customs saw the disks in his luggage as he is a music DJ.

Thanks and sorry for the very noob question. I just want to make sure i won’t get into any trouble.

I don’t see any forseen problem at the borders all you have to say it’s private or for your privacy and no one else has the right to look at them. Regardless of what is on the label they have to have evidenence to prove otherwise. But as always just check the customs web site or the providence you going to their legal site to see what they clarify that would be your best option. And as always don’t mention torrent or that it is downloaded. Why should you give them any reason to give a excuse to go through your stuff. Just say these are my private items and no one has the right to view or search cd contents…

Unfortunately your at the mercy of customs. If they deem it necessary they can and they will look through your stuff. A scenario for you to consider is that you might have to part with it.

:cool::cool:

Thanks for your responses guys.

I’m not worrying if customs see the cd’s, because I really have to declare and list it on the declaration form that embassy gave me to avoid tax and I’m am very aware that they will search my stuff while looking through my declaration form. What worries me if they will confiscate the cd’s or they might freak out when they see them due to the news regarding piracy and copyright infringement and they might fine me later on. I’ve checked the Canada Border Services Agency website and from what I see, there isn’t any information about cd’s or dvd’s, only prohibited items such as dangerous weapons, firearms, food (meat and plants), counterfeit coins and among others.

Just make sure you have all the appropriate paper work filled out. You will probably have no issues. But be prepared for worse case scenarios. Your question comes with uncertainty that know one individual will be able to give you a firm answer that you will clear customs without any issues, there are just to many unknowns. Like you might have a picky customs agent or you may have an agent that’s had a bad day, … etc etc .

I know people that have gone through U.S customs with no problems, then I know people that have gone through and had their laptops checked and their I-pod’s checked for pirated content.

Just depends.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2312590]Just make sure you have all the appropriate paper work filled out. You will probably have no issues. But be prepared for worse case scenarios. Your question comes with uncertainty that know one individual will be able to give you a firm answer that you will clear customs without any issues, there are just to many unknowns. Like you might have a picky customs agent or you may have an agent that’s had a bad day, … etc etc .

I know people that have gone through U.S customs with no problems, then I know people that have gone through and had their laptops checked and their I-pod’s checked for pirated content.

Just depends.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

In addition to that: Take your time. Please do not get angry or impatient, but stay very calm and patient. They will easily search you from top to bottom if you annoy the customs too much. There is absolutely nothing you can do to speed up time at an airport.