Is it feeling chilly in here?

vbimport

For the last few months, I’ve noticed less and less members posting in the forums, or more to the point, I’ve noticed more often that it’s established / long term members posting in teh forums.

I have to wonder whether the admins/ mods could check up on this for an affirmative answer?

Are people leaving Cdfreaks due to taboo’s on certain questions?
Are people leaving because we refer them to other forums in their quest for information, and they stay there?
Are people just moving to other sites because of the number of alternatives to CDfreaks now available?
Is censorship on certain topics causing people to drop in ocassionally for information, but hang out in other forums?

Am I just paranoid delusional?

Anyone else want to comment, or have a definitive answer?

funny…i was thinking the same last week.
I am pretty busy myself the last year, because i am an moderator in 7 chat rooms. Cdfreaks is how i relax.

The weird thing is the amount of non-related topics 9living room stuff) seem to be raised. But perhaps that is jus tmy impression…because i check threads at random mostly

I think CDF is as active is it ever was if not more active (i notice lots of new first posters). Then again i loved the 4th option a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

From a couple days back:

CD Freaks forums:

There are currently 87 CD Freaks and 1298 guest(s) on the boards.

That is twice as much as the high’s I was seeing only 3-4 months ago. I don’t think that is dead at all… perhaps not quite as many posts, but the more questions that are asked the easier it becomes to just use the search button and find the answer without having to post. Which is a good, not bad thing! :bigsmile:

I haven’t been around much because I’m in the middle of final exams. Not that anyone cares… :stuck_out_tongue: After finals comes graduation. Woohoo!!

I don’t think it’s any less busy around here, though how would I know for sure? Maybe you’re all just getting tired of picking on smarty_pants and need a replacement. [shrugs]

My observation in the LiteOn forum has been “wow, there’s a lot of DVD-writer posts… and virtually nothing else!”

I think this is probably because LiteOn’s combos, DVD-ROMs, and CD-RWs are mature products that are top-of-the-line and work beautifully. There aren’t many problems with them, and there’s really not that much tweaking that can be done with them.

But the DVD burners… they’re not a mature product, people have problems with them, and there is still tweaking room in them.

But I have noticed a drop in the LiteOn forum posting traffic. And my guess is that it’s because DVD burners are starting to mature. The latest LiteOn drives don’t have as many problems, and thanks to Ssseth with his tools collection, we also don’t so many people asking the same questions over and over again. :slight_smile:

Well I’ve been revising for my SATs (UK) so I haven’t been able to post as much. Also as the SATs are this week I won’t be around much. :frowning:

As I said I’m a new member here and have found most people to be helpful, in what they have to offer. I’m kinda new to all this burning business and I really don’t have the knowledge to reply to other peoples questions, but hopefully that will change in the future!

My experience with forums is that quite a lot of people are selfish and really only join to get the information they need and you don’t see them again till they need something else.

I still check the posts a few times a day and ‘chip-in’ where I can. I always feel that if people are kind enough to me, then I should be prepared to return the favour.

Good attitude. You learn alot about burning etc here (when I joined I didn’t know anything about CD-Rs and Dvd±Rs).

Originally posted by Chriso
Well I’ve been revising for my SATs (UK) so I haven’t been able to post as much. Also as the SATs are this week I won’t be around much. :frowning:

What does an SAT stand for?

Is it like a tertiary entrance ranking? or is is just an end of high school exam which is unranked? :expressionless:

when I joined I didn’t know anything about Dvd±Rs).

Same here :iagree:

Originally posted by debro
[B]What does an SAT stand for?

Is it like a tertiary entrance ranking? or is is just an end of high school exam which is unranked? :expressionless: [/B]

It’s an exam we take in the middle of High School (age 13-14).

Enjoy them, they are the easiest exams you’ll do :bigsmile: :smiley: it only gets harder :wink: :eek:

Naahh, you’re just getting older:bigsmile:
To doubt one’s own judgements.:smiley: Is really just a part of growing up. If it can comfort you, I reached that state many years ago:p

[B]For the last few months, I’ve noticed less and less members posting in the forums, or more to the point, I’ve noticed more often that it’s established / long term members posting in teh forums.

I have to wonder whether the admins/ mods could check up on this for an affirmative answer?

Are people leaving Cdfreaks due to taboo’s on certain questions?
Are people leaving because we refer them to other forums in their quest for information, and they stay there?
Are people just moving to other sites because of the number of alternatives to CDfreaks now available?
Is censorship on certain topics causing people to drop in ocassionally for information, but hang out in other forums?

Anyone else want to comment, or have a definitive answer? [/B]

I made a similar post a few months ago … so you’re not the only one that’s paranoid :slight_smile:

I think that moderators here are very strict about the use of the search button … so not many new posts can show up at the forums.

Also i think many people stopped entering the forum after many long-lasting arguments and fights about the September 11th attacks and the about the war on Iraq and Afganistan…

A few months ago we had the whole question of is it possible to overclock LiteON DVDRW drives and can I make it dual-layer and help I wrecked my EEPROM -sort of questions. And we had NEC ND2500A and much on the hardware-front.

Now we’re in a bit of a slope waiting for the new drives to come out and that’s what it all comes down to I think, the majority of our users come here to read about new DVD-RW drives, which drive does what protection and so on.

That said, do not forget we have a large userbase, as said there are always loads of guests on the board. If more of our guests would register (come on, its fun! :)) things would heat up even more.

goes back to doing boring have-to-do-before-graduation -stuff

If it’s in the middle of high school… what’s it supposed to prove?

IQ? Alot of people develop alot over the last 2 years, I know I was always pretty cluey back then, but i never really put in any effort until the last 2 years of High school (11/12) which determined our univeristy entrance ranking :slight_smile:

No-one gets individual marks, but we are ranked versus everyone else doing the exam that year.

It works well for the universities, but doesn’t reflect your overall performance in comparison to previous years.
Some years can be really intelligent (ie average mark is 80) and some years really dumb (average mark 40) , but it isn’t reflected in the TER.

Originally posted by The_Judas
[B]I made a similar post a few months ago … so you’re not the only one that’s paranoid :slight_smile:

I think that moderators here are very strict about the use of the search button … so not many new posts can show up at the forums.

Also i think many people stopped entering the forum after many long-lasting arguments and fights about the September 11th attacks and the about the war on Iraq and Afganistan… [/B]

Lolol.
That’s a relief :slight_smile:

Mods are always strict about everything :slight_smile:
Tis a good idea though. Previously I swear I used to answer the same question multiple times in the same day. I remember a few cases where the actual questions posted 1 up, one down from the middle were asking practically the same thing.
Copy and paste works good :slight_smile:

I still think I have an example sitting somewhere on my PC :slight_smile:
hehehe.

I think with issues like Sep11, iraq and afghan, everyone should just agree to disagree. The US is pretty much pro-war, the rest of the world seems rather, um, show us the proof.

Which, I suspect ,will always be the case, which is also why the PM’s of the UK and Oz are treading shite ATM.
People tend to be rather wary of what the governments here say since they are usually deviant underhanded weasles, just like all pollies, but here in oz, they don’t even attempt to hide the fact :wink:

[B]If it’s in the middle of high school… what’s it supposed to prove?

IQ? Alot of people develop alot over the last 2 years, I know I was always pretty cluey back then, but i never really put in any effort until the last 2 years of High school (11/12) which determined our univeristy entrance ranking :slight_smile:

No-one gets individual marks, but we are ranked versus everyone else doing the exam that year.

It works well for the universities, but doesn’t reflect your overall performance in comparison to previous years.
Some years can be really intelligent (ie average mark is 80) and some years really dumb (average mark 40) , but it isn’t reflected in the TER. [/B]

It’s just some test the school uses to set you for GCSE (and the government uses to keep track of how different schols are doing). Did science test today. Went pretty well. Maths tomorrow.

Chris

Well. I’m new… relatively, and trying to contribute more than I ask.

Of course SEARCH is pretty useful and obviates the need to post a lot of questions. This is a good thing as if there’s too many duplicates that drown out the new questions. I subscribe to some email lists too… one receives about 100 emails per day and another 60 a day… if you think Mods here are savage about duplicate posts… it’s nothing to the treatment people get in these other forums.

…and no, I don’t read them all… sort into threads and scan for interesting ones.

@Chriso Best wishes for your SATs.

With that I’ll go to bed… it’s 02:47 where did that time go :confused: