Is it easy to install a new combo lite-on

Hi does anyone know if it easy to install a new dvdrw drive…

i have a compaq presario 64AMD and it has a lite -on dvdrwsohw1633s combo drive .but the cd side will not play or read the discs but the dvd side works fine but i was gonna replace it would most drives fit ok or do i have to have a specific one for it.Also can anyone give me a few tips on getting the old one out ,i would like to have a go at doin it myself but if anyone could give me a few tips then that would be great.Thanks.

Hi [B]morgandollar[/B], welcome to CD Freaks!

Just get a normal full-sized (traditional term: “half-height” although somewhat misleading) PATA drive :slight_smile:
All IDE/PATA drives will work well with a modern system.

Open the chassis, remove the screws on the sides (if applicable), disconnect power and flat IDE cable, and audio cable (if applicable), slide it out, and get the new one in, connect power and IDE cable, reuse the screws (if applicable), and have fun! :slight_smile:

(Keep in mind that you might need to jumper the new drive before you can use it. Check the jumper setting on your old Litey before to know which one is good.)

Thanks for replying back could you explain what you mean by - Keep in mind that you might need to jumper the new drive before you can use it. Check the jumper setting on your old Litey before to know which one is good.) sorry but i’m new to the comp work but i’m alright with a bit of guidence lol. :smiley: Thanks for your time.
________p.s do you mean choose either master or slave?i’m gonna take the full combo out and put a new one in so i guess i would have to set it to master ?if i’m wrong could you tell me cheers .

So easy a caveman can do it!