Is it better to wait for Athlon 64?

vbimport

Is it better to buy new processor and motherboard to computer now or wait for Athlon 64? When Athlon 64 will be available and what improvements it has?

(Currently i have 750Mhz Athlon+256MB ram+R9000 Pro)

It’s hard to say wether it’s worth the wait for you. The first Athlon 64 that will be released will probably be a 3400+ version, so I guess that one will compete with the P4 @ 3,2 Ghz.

If you want to buy a new system with a mainboard that can be used for upgrading up to 2 years, you’d better wait for the Athlon 64 to arrive.

If you really are in need of a new system now (your current system is perfect for office use, but not for modern games) I’d suggest to buy a descent system right now and keep it for a year or so.

If you are into overclocking, you can get good performance for a reasonable price (I bought a NForce2 based mainboard, an Athlon 2100+ -Tbred B- and overclocked it to 2700+)…

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
If you are into overclocking, you can get good performance for a reasonable price (I bought a NForce2 based mainboard, an Athlon 2100+ -Tbred B- and overclocked it to 2700+)…

What D said. The K8s use a socket mobo, which is not even available atm to consumers. You won’t see a consumer level K8 and mobo until fall this year. And when that comes out, I’m sure mobo companies will have to work out whatever problems people encounter and release a number of BIOS update to solve it. So I would get a decent nForce2 mobo, the XP 2100+ Tbred B core, around 512MB PC3200 RAM, and a Radeon 9500 Pro video card, then you’re in business until the K8 platform matures, and becomes affordable.

Thanks for help. I think that Ill wait for Athlon 64 since I usually don’t play the most most resource-demanding games (I usually play strategy games) and I would like to have a system that can be used for couple years.

you can always wait becuase there will be always newer tinhs on the way.
in the time that the athlon64 arives the prescot will be there and some other things will come very soon after that.
difficult to tell when to wait en when to buy

If you wait, you’ll never buy anything 'cause there’s always something new around the corner, which isn’t a bad thing at all 'cause that’s the excuse I use for not buying anything, so I can save money.

Well, maybe. Ill consider buying new mobo+prosessor+memory. But I think that change wrom 32bit processors to 64bit is quite big change. (in addition most games i play work quite well in my computer since i don’t usually play the most demanding 3d games so i could wait for some time)

But on the other hand buying new mobo and processor now and waiting that Athlon 64 becomes affordable probably doesn’t cost more than buying Athlon 64 soon after it comes out.

It will be quite long since simple user’s 64bit applications become available don’t you think?
Buying a 64bit cpu to run 32bit apps doesn’t make sense to me.

Originally posted by panos
It will be quite long since simple user’s 64bit applications become available don’t you think?
Buying a 64bit cpu to run 32bit apps doesn’t make sense to me.

If the Athlon64 in 32 bit mode performs like the the Opteron does in 32 bit mode (and it probably will, because the only difference will be the amount of cache, when used in single CPU configurations) there will be quite a big gain.

Besides that, somewhere this summer, x86-64 Windows XP will arrive and there will surely be some benefit in there. As soon as some big companies (like Adobe) release new products or updates for the 64bit CPU’s (and they’ll have to, as AMD 64 bit CPU’s seem to be getting quite popular, and as HP just announced that they will start offering 2 itanium-2 based workstation pc’s) the performance gain can be huge…

I hope the new transition from 32bit windows to 64 wont last as long as it took to get from from 16bit to 32bit.

Even Windows Millenium had 16bit apps.

And i think this has happend before with the first intel’s 32bit cpu which was never used as 32bit cpu because windows didn’t support it.

@panos: I don’t think so. The Itanium 2 version of Windows XP should be ready right now (I’ve seen some betas passing btw) and somewhere around the end of August, the Hammer version will go gold was well.

MS can’t afford to wait, as support for the Hammer CPUs is something that is important to the server market. If they don’t come with 64bit Windows, the gain for Linux will be too big (for MS that is ;))

I think you better can buy now a good performing PC and upgrade in about 2 Ã 3 years when 64bit procs are more mature and 64bit programs are available in large amounts.

When will the first 64bit games be released?

get a athlon 1.7 (damm cheap)

use it for a 7 months.

then upgrade to athlon 64…since when it comes out in september its gonna be costly.

maybe in december u will be able to put together a decent athlon 64 & nforce3 rig… :slight_smile:

apart from all x64 thing…athlon 64 will have a ceramic core (tough one) & on-die cpu overheat protection like p4.

When will the first 64bit games be released?

Couter Strike 64 bit server is available, UT2003 64 bit will be available immediatly during launch.

Just one little notice (I got some messages from people that clearly didn’t understand this): The 64 bit AMD CPU’s seem to be really fast in 32 bit mode as well (tested on serveral Opteron systems with popular 32 bit applications and games). Even when there is no 64 bit Windows available by the time the Athlon 64 reaches te market, the speed in the 32 bit Windows will probably be very attractive as well…

The AMD and Intel 64 bit architectures are different so it wont be possible to run the same 64 bit apps on both platforms so it will be like the game consoles.

Are those processors (Intels and AMDs 64bit) REALLY so different or it is something like SSE and 3D now-things?

Getting 1700 Athlon +cheap mobo+memory might be good idea since it would be quite cheap… and probably costs less than buying Athlon 64 in september :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Supi Suomalaine
[B]Are those processors (Intels and AMDs 64bit) REALLY so different or it is something like SSE and 3D now-things?

Getting 1700 Athlon +cheap mobo+memory might be good idea since it would be quite cheap… and probably costs less than buying Athlon 64 in september :slight_smile: [/B]

They are really really different. Intels 64bit CPU (Itanium I and II are even more different than AMD’s CPU, and not really intended for the home user).

If you get the right mainboard with a 1700+ you can overclock it quite good. I read about a guy that overclocked his 1700+ about 111% (that’s over 3000Mhz!!!), with a Prometeia cooling…