Is it bad to use cd stickers on cd-r's?

hello,

i was wondering if anyone could help me. i have been having problems with some cd-r’s that i have, and i am trying to locate the problem – is the cds, the burner, my cd player or the sticker on the cd.

anyway, has anyone heard that putting a label on a cd is bad for the cd either damaging the cd itself or making it difficult for regular cd players to read it. it doesn’t matter what type of cd-r’s i’ve used, i get some that just won’t read properly.

bruno

Never had a problem with sticky labels on my CDRs, quite the reverse, I find it best to put a label on some crappy silvers I’ve been sent to protect them from damage. Only problem I’ve come across is with some of the oldest ones not reading very well, again only the silvers seem affected, might that be what’s happening to you?

if you use round labels (covering the whole cd) there no problem
if you use small lables there is an possibility that on high speeds the cd gets out off balance because one half off the cd is heavier than the other.
when the cd gets out off balance there is a possibility that the drive is going to produce read errors.
i normally use a marker to write on the cd to avoid any off the above problems.

Originally posted by spreadthelove
[B]hello,

i was wondering if anyone could help me. i have been having problems with some cd-r’s that i have, and i am trying to locate the problem – is the cds, the burner, my cd player or the sticker on the cd.

anyway, has anyone heard that putting a label on a cd is bad for the cd either damaging the cd itself or making it difficult for regular cd players to read it. it doesn’t matter what type of cd-r’s i’ve used, i get some that just won’t read properly.

bruno [/B]

Its a plain good idea to put stickers on top of a CD-R. Go ahead. Even I have had no problems with stickers.

Its only bad if you put the label on the wrong side, I know this from experience.

thanks for the feedback! at least i know that the errors my stereo has with my cd-r’s isn’t due to the sticker. one error possibility down and a few others to go.

bruno

Originally posted by portmac
Its only bad if you put the label on the wrong side, I know this from experience.

How can one stick the label on the burnt side instead of the top.:confused:

Originally posted by spreadthelove
[B]thanks for the feedback! at least i know that the errors my stereo has with my cd-r’s isn’t due to the sticker. one error possibility down and a few others to go.

bruno [/B]

Try different media. Phthalocyanine disks didn’t play well in my portable. Everything other than phthalocyanine plays fine.:smiley:

Originally posted by darshanjog
[B]

How can one stick the label on the burnt side instead of the top.:confused: [/B]

I was watching the T.V and talking to the wife at the time it happened, they are extremely hard to get back off once they are on. I had the disc in the kitchen sink for a while and picked off most of the label and then used Metholated Spirits to remove the rest. It worked just long enough to get my data back off it :slight_smile:

Originally posted by portmac
[B]

I was watching the T.V and talking to the wife at the time it happened, they are extremely hard to get back off once they are on. I had the disc in the kitchen sink for a while and picked off most of the label and then used Metholated Spirits to remove the rest. It worked just long enough to get my data back off it :slight_smile: [/B]

He he he :bigsmile:

Yes. Putting the sticker onto the cdr can damage it. When you press the sticker onto the CD it can damage it. If you write on a cdr with a marker it can damage it. Just make sure you dont press
the sticker on too Hard!!

Originally posted by RaWShadow
Yes. Putting the sticker onto the cdr can damage it. When you press the sticker onto the CD it can damage it. If you write on a cdr with a marker it can damage it. Just make sure you dont press
the sticker on too Hard!!

Well, normally people who stick labels on their cd-r using label applying kits.

The applicator is very nice. Doesn’t give any pressure at all. Its smooth. I use them personally & know how they work. No question of damaging the cd-r arising.

But, if you try to pull out the label after sticking it, you’ll ruin the whole cd-r.