Is it a good time to buy Bluray now?

vbimport

Hello!

So… last weekend our family visited a friend and the kids were watching Open Season in Blu-ray on their big screen Sony LCD. I went to their entertainment room to check out my kids and found myself stood up there for a few minutes looking at the amazing picture quality. Hmm…

We have a Sony 52" LCD I believe 1080p but mainly use for watching comcast cable. I’m impressed with the hidef channels and the upscale DVD so far but now thinking to “upgrade” to blu-ray for the movies.

Is it a good time now or should I hold off a bit more? I’m looking forward to hearing from you all.

Let me elaborate some reasons from my readings and one of my techie friend. He knows that I am ready to spend up to $500-ish for a blu-ray player but he did not told me to wait nor to buy bluray player now. Anywho, he said the following:

• Blu-ray technology is not mature enough and there are some un-finished “settings” (I don’t understand precisely what it means to be honest)

• Only small number amount of bluray titles (he said less than 1000) compared to DVD hundreds of thousand titles

• Not all new movies will come out to bluray but all will come to DVD?

• Price will go down very soon in a month or two or this later this year?

• I need to upgrade my sound system too with HDMI receiver?

ANywho I wanted to hear you all opinions about this whether I should wait for a month or two or…? Please?!?

I took the plunge last December and purchased the Samsung 1400 Blu-ray player and do not regret for a second the decision.

More and more movies are being released in BD format all the time and the Samsung also does a very nice job with the DVD format.

If you enjoy the hi-def movies and have the money to spend now I would suggest you go for it.

[ul]
[li]There is room for more development but these things are minor, the question you have to ask yourself is can you afford to part with 500+ dollars and then shell out what they are asking for Blu-Ray movies? Disposable Income vs Satisfaction[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]This is hard to say, I would think this will depend on the demand and weather or not the specific studio wishes to do so and how rapid the change from DvD to Blu-Ray occurs.[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]I do not see the prices changing in a month or two, it will probably take at least a year or so, again this will depend on adaptation.[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]Yes, If you want to enjoy the new sound formats that come with Blu-Ray.[/li][/ul]
:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2094216]
There is room for more development but these things are minor, the question you have to ask yourself is can you afford to part with 500+ dollars and then shell out what they are asking for Blu-Ray movies? Disposable Income vs Satisfaction[/quote]Right, disposable income vs satisfaction. Some times you can’t measure satisfaction with $$. :bigsmile: On a bright side, whenever I go to Costco I see the price of blu-ray movies there is not too expensive. A couple weeks ago my teenage boy asked me to get a copy of a movie National Treasure 2 Books of Secrets. The DVD version is 23.99 and the Blu-ray version is, surprisingly, $25.99. Hmm, I thought all Blu-ray movie is about $40. Whoa am I wrong. Now with only $2 difference and more “satisfaction” :bigsmile: it would be a no brainer if I own a blu-ray player I will easily pick the blu-ray version of the movie.

This is hard to say, I would think this will depend on the demand and weather or not the specific studio wishes to do so and how rapid the change from DvD to Blu-Ray occurs.
I read that catalog titles (old movies?) will be priced at $11 per disc. I think this is the right way for the studios to increase adaptation. Back to my teen boy (:D) he starting to watch PG-13 movies that I watched long ago, especially this summer he has lots of spare time. :smiley: I think for some people who doesn’t own the titles, there will be no doubt to choose the blu-ray version instead of DVD (assuming one owns a blu-ray player), if the price difference is small.

What about my question about the unfinished profile, is it a requirement to get a profile 2.0 player?

It’s not required to get a profile 2.0 player to watch a Blu-ray movie. But you need a profile 2.0 player if you want to use the BD-Live feature. BD-Live is a feature that enables you to access content from your internet-connected Blu-ray player. It can allow you to download the latest content (for example previews, exclusive special features etc), and other downloads such as ringtone, walpaper, gaming activiites, peer to peer interactions and live events.

There are a small number of titles with BD-Live feature now (I think less than 10 titles so far) but in the future I’m pretty sure most if not all studios will put BD-Live features in their disc. So yeah for “future-proof” reasons, get a Profile 2.0 player.

Which player do you recommend other than PS3?

One thing still concern me that when I compare HD movies on my 52" HDTV from the Comcast HD channels vs DVD from my dvdplayer, they both look great. I thought, if this is how “High Definition” look then it’s not that much difference from DVD afterall. (?!?)

My .02 are not to buy BD media or players for the time being as most movies that I watch are still in the DVD format and there plenty of those I have yet to see and watch the series. Now if they put LOTR Ext on all BD media I might have to consider that but still the price $500 is way beyond I like to spend I rather put that toward a laptop that has 17" screen would benefit me more. Unless your doing movie theatre entertainment then go for it but then you will need all the wires and hardware setup not including the room for such setups which adds up in costs. Not til they burn up all the DVD format will I go BD. Plus I never will buy a first or second generation unit rather I would let someone else take the plunge with the hardware and software problems of BD players because you never know what problems would prop up.

[quote=f3rrytl;2095193]
One thing still concern me that when I compare HD movies on my 52" HDTV from the Comcast HD channels vs DVD from my dvdplayer, they both look great. I thought, if this is how “High Definition” look then it’s not that much difference from DVD afterall. (?!?)[/quote]

My question for you is how do you have things hooked up to your TV? HDMI,Component, Etc …

DvD - 480p

Upscaling DvD player - 1080i or 1080p ( if the requirements are met, if not it defaults to 480p)

Standard Digital Channels - 480p
ComcastHD Channels - 720p or 1080i

Blu-Ray - 1080p

You should be able to easily distinguish between your DvD and ComcastHD.

There is a difference but it gets harder between 720p and 1080i, and then again between 1080i and 1080p.

You really have to focus on what’s being displayed, the higher the resolution the more fill you will have in your object’s being displayed. Things should appear sharper with more clarity.

TV channels on TV (cable, terrestrial or sat) are only 1080i max, there is no 1080p, not even planned.
The japanese engineers already went to the next level…HDTV obsolete for them. :smiley:

Hmm, I watched Clear and Present Danger from my cable and it’s listed that is HD. I checked online there is no Blu-ray or HD DVD version of this movie. Where do the cables company get their movies from? So most “HD” movies are from DVD upconverted and broadcast to us?

[B]Clear and Present Danger has been released on Blu-Ray

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Present-Danger-Blu-ray-Archer/dp/B001AII4RW

But your right, there will be times where scaling is involved.

Something for you to read.

The Real Story of HDTV Standards—There Aren’t Any

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f149/real-story-hdtv-standardsa-there-arent-any-249529/

[/B]

all the reasons your friend listed are valid, but just think about how much you’d use it.

if the current crop of blu-ray titles are satisfactory, then go for it. the technology is already mind-blowing enough and worth the money, but if you can still make due with what you have, then hold out for a bit longer.