Is High-Definition not enough?

vbimport

I just posted the article Is High-Definition not enough?.

The winner of the war between High Definition (HD) formats Blu-ray and HD-DVD is not yet in sight, but it seems that both can become obsolete soon.According to a news published at Crave C|NET, Sharp…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13112-Is-High-Definition-not-enough.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13112-Is-High-Definition-not-enough.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Just as I always suspected. Just about everything in an “improved” DVD format today is transitional.

That is the resolution of the TV’s panel and not the source content signal (unless they cheated and plugged a PC into it). No there will not be a new native 4000x2000 HD format any time soon. Changes like that do not come from a TV manufacturer deciding to make a new TV, it comes from a collective decision by the broacast industry. For TV / video, that TV will take 1080 and up-scale it to its panel resolution. Since LCD is still not a great video technology, by making the pixels smaller they can enhace the detail, do better anti-aliasing etc… since they can use 4 small pixels to represent 1 pixel of the source signal. Or kinda like that… HD in its current formats (for broadcast) is here to stay for a while. The change to digital and HDTV with support for 1920x1080 etc… was a huge change and huge $$ cost for the entire broadcast industry from end to end. They won’t change it again soon, everyone would go bankrupt !

Does it even matter? We lived with 320x240 happily for 50 years. Even old school HD 1020i is sharper on my 47" TV than my eyes can perceive at 8 feet away. It’s almost too much… seeing every wart and blemish on the actor’s faces isn’t always a GOOD thing :slight_smile: I guess it’s cool that the technology advances so rapidly but if the benefit is marginal, or imperceptible, it seems that the extra cost is of little value for most consumers. We already have George Lucas’ digital film for ridiculously big screens if you are a rock star and want to have your own gigantic cinema where money is no object. But 99% of mortals wouldn’t benefit from another major quantum jump in resolution even if it were likely to happen any time soon for consumer media formats.

The bigger the better I say! :X

It isnt really necessary to have that kind of definition, as I am certainly not interested to watch a 64" screen at about 3 feet distance. :wink:

Viewing angle, ghosting, shades of black reproduction… .Dont they have enough to think of? I’m still looking for a flat panel that would be as good as my old sony crt. having said that I like Sharp life-like quality. Other good ones would probably be hitachi panels.

LOL - give me that for a computer monitor! :slight_smile: just about right for a computer fanatic … to work, not to game (watches the 3D gfx cards die trying to render THAT!). It’d seriously need fast storage and processing if it were to play any video which was coded at that reso.

I’d be plenty happy at 1920x1080 with the “World’s First High Dynamic Range Display - DR37-P”. Technology from a company called Brightside which i believe was recently bought by Dolby. # Extreme Dynamic Range # Over 3000 cd/m 2 Brightness # O.015 cd/m 2 Black Level # Contrast Ratio > 200,000:1 # High Definition 1920x1080 # 37” Screen # 16 bits per color # IMLED – Individually Modulated Array of LED backlights Now that’s the future of our televisions :S

Ia m sure this is for commercial purposes, you would need one huge screen to get the resolution from 4K by 2k monitors

It should be no supprise that there will be something else (Ultra High Def ???). Its never enough. Second, the Content Creation Industry will then use it to resell us movies and music we already bought in the new format. Probably trying to layer even more DRM on it. All well, I guess I better start saving for a UHDTV. :slight_smile:

It’s been found thqat many people cannot tell the difference between at 720P video and 1080P video when displayed on a screen up to 300" in size when viewed from an appropriate viewing distance (I.E. not right in front of the screen). They did a double blind study on it. Only a few people got it right and that seemed to be more on guesswork than actually knowing.