Is GTX 295 in Single GPU mode as fast as the GTX 285?

vbimport

I notice that a GTX 295 has the setting to allow it to run in Single GPU mode when the user wants it to avoid tearing in some games.

I would ask:

Is GTX 295 in Single GPU mode (Non-Multi GPU setting) as fast as a GTX 285?

Or, is the GTX 285 faster in that configuration comparison?

I look forward to replies.

Thank you

Are you going to really see the difference??? And are you going to go SLi or not? Also how much are you willing to spend??? Also if you do a search on the net there plenty of reviews and test of the two and how they compare and what chipset they use and how those are compared.

from another site:

"Multi-GPU is what GTX-295 calls SLI.

If you are running XP and want to use two monitors, you have to disable Multi-GPU because XP does not allow multiple monitors in SLI mode. Both Vista and Windows 7 do not have this limitation.

All Multi-GPU (or SLI) means is that you are using two GPU’s to process your 3D graphics. Some games support it better than others. Disabling it basically makes your system ignore the second GPU."

the gtx295 is essentially 2 gtx275’s
the gtx 275 is basically a gtx285 core with gtx260 memory bus
so in single gpu mode the 295 is almost as fast as a 285 but not quite

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2483546]Are you going to really see the difference??? And are you going to go SLi or not? Also how much are you willing to spend??? Also if you do a search on the net there plenty of reviews and test of the two and how they compare and what chipset they use and how those are compared.[/QUOTE]

I have 30" LCD with 2560x1600 capable. I think it will show there.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2483553]from another site:

"Multi-GPU is what GTX-295 calls SLI.

If you are running XP and want to use two monitors, you have to disable Multi-GPU because XP does not allow multiple monitors in SLI mode. Both Vista and Windows 7 do not have this limitation.

All Multi-GPU (or SLI) means is that you are using two GPU’s to process your 3D graphics. Some games support it better than others. Disabling it basically makes your system ignore the second GPU."[/QUOTE]

I have been stated to that the GTX 295 provides gain to all games and is not limited to requiring direct support such as SLI requires.

Is this not correct?

Thank you

[QUOTE=jwill427;2483957]the gtx295 is essentially 2 gtx275’s
the gtx 275 is basically a gtx285 core with gtx260 memory bus
so in single gpu mode the 295 is almost as fast as a 285 but not quite[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the reply. It gives me the exact answer that I was seeking initially.

[QUOTE=SubZero;2485478]I have been stated to that the GTX 295 provides gain to all games and is not limited to requiring direct support such as SLI requires.

Is this not correct?

Thank you[/QUOTE]

unfortunately no, the 295 still uses sli to link the 2 gpus