Is Gordan Knot any good?

Since I first learned to make DivX movies my main program was FlaskMpeg. Now that I want to use the DivX5 codec the FlaskMpeg gets very unstable. So I was thinking giving Gordian Knot a try… In your opinion know, is Gordian Knot worthwhile or I shoud use again FlaskMpeg??
Well I’m asking 'cause my DVD is broken and about to buy a new one, so, I wasn’t able to test myself… :frowning:

FlaskMPEG = crap. Don’t waste your time with it.

I’ve used a variety of divx encoding tools, and I would have to say that Gordian Knot is one of the best for quality and encoding speeds. :bigsmile:

In terms of setting up the files for encoding, its a little slower than other programs, but the time spent clicking those extra options is worth it, purely down to the quality of the divx.

If however, you find Gordian Knot too slow a process when setting up your files, use either Xmpeg 4.5 or Vidomi 0.469 which are a bit more automated. The quality from these two programs are almost as good as Gordian Knots.

Gordian Knot also has by far the best bit rate calculator that I’ve ever used. The predicted files sizes always come out the correct size. Sometimes the files are off by 1MB on the predicted size, but with a margin of error of 1MB, I’m not complaining. :bigsmile:

Originally posted by mkap81
Xmpeg 4.5

:confused:

Xmpeg??? Haven’t heard it before…

Xmpeg is the more advance version of Flask. Some people say its as unstable as Flask, but to be honest, I’ve never had any problems with this version.

Check out the link below, where you’ll find the software as well as other apps that you’ll need to produce your divx.

The site is also a tutorial guide for divx 4, But where it says select the divx 4 codec you simply select the divx 5 instead.

http://www.doom9.org/flask-divx4.htm

Enjoy :smiley:

At least, the author fixed the bug in 4.3 which caused invalid divX headers! Fortunately, most players tolerated these invalid headers…

Sorry RedHatted, I should have checked the link before I posted it, but I’ve had difficulty selecting the apps to download, so go to the link below:

http://www.doom9.org/

Go to the download section where you’ll find loads of divx tools, puls the Xmpeg that I was on about.

The tutorial from the first link I posted is okay, so you can use that to learn how to use Xmpeg.

i have been using xmpeg for ages but it has drawbacks…
It corrupts your display fonts and you have to reboot
after you have encoded a movie.
It will not work properly with divx 5.02…all sorts of errors

I just got Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD…interlaced
xmpeg just can’t cope with interlaced stuff.

I switched to Gknot yesterday
It is really easy to use…don’t select fast deinterlace
the program won’t work if you.
and I’m not quite sure about the pixel size yet but
apart from that it runs much faster tham xmpeg and
my buffy episodes came out well first try…

I tried all of the Flask versions, and they all had drawbacks in terms of stability, etc.

I tried Gordian Knot and have not used Flask since. You can surf the Web and continue to queue jobs as the program runs. It is practically bulletproof. Audio normalization is automatic and gives far better results than Flask.

I recommend Gordian Knot highly. In my opinion, Flask versions are not in the same league.

The “Pixel Size” (which I assume you mean bits per pixel) has the effect of allowing a greater number of bits per macroblock (by resizing), reducing the number of blocks.

Gordian Knot is a very nice prog.
Alltrough I don’t use it.
I’ll go 4 encoding with Nandub (without GK). :wink:

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]I tried all of the Flask versions, and they all had drawbacks in terms of stability, etc.

I tried Gordian Knot and have not used Flask since. You can surf the Web and continue to queue jobs as the program runs. It is practically bulletproof. Audio normalization is automatic and gives far better results than Flask.

I recommend Gordian Knot highly. In my opinion, Flask versions are not in the same league. [/B]

Nice to see you here Inertia… :slight_smile:

From the sounds of things most people are convinced that Flask and Xmpeg are no go areas for producing divx’s due to the stability of the programs.

I’m probably one of the lucky ones that has never really had any major issues with these apps. However, I also agree with what most people have said in this thread about GK being one if not the best divx encoding app available.

So, RedHatted, have you given GK a try yet? If you have, what do you think of it?

RedHatted I don’t know if you are dutch but if you are i have a very nice GK guide 4 ya…:slight_smile:

Flask MPEG is showing its age a bit now, I switched to XMPEG and that gives you much better encoding times.

http://www.mp3guest.com/xmpeg_index.asp for the official page of it, I spent ages trying to find it! Wish it had some kind of queuing systems for files though :frowning:

GordianKnot is a great bitrate calculator, but it would never encode my files at the proper bitrate. Or sometimes just not at all. If it works with your computer then I’m sure it’s quite good but I’m happy with XMPEG.

Originally posted by BurnFre@k
RedHatted I don’t know if you are dutch but if you are i have a very nice GK guide 4 ya…:slight_smile:

Nah, I’m from Greece. I’ve downloaded some guides. The only problem now is that I don’t have any VOB’s to test GK… :frowning:

oh, ok

Originally posted by BurnFre@k
oh, ok

Thanks for the help though. :slight_smile:

gordian knot rawks for the beginner and the advanced user… it’s simple, straightforward and handy… that said… I use a combination of it and virtualdub/besweet/nandub

I don’t like DivX 5 too much - I stick with 3.11a or 4.12 - I’ll have to give 5 another go though.