Is EWS; AWS; Bypass EFM needed with Premium!

I would a clear answer!
Today; i haven’t yet understand if Premium is a true 2 sheep burner or not! Should i check EFM; AWS; EWS when burning a SD 2.9/3.1 game?

Yes, you should. Premium is not a 2-sheep burner. I tried all the options and almost all speeds available on Alcohol, Blindwrite, CloneCD, DiscJuggler without any kind of emulation unsuccessfully.

I think you should keep this in mind:

-SafeDisc up to 2.80.010: no AWS
-SafeDisc 2.90 and higher: AWS

ouch, I thought it was a 2 sheep. Looks like I will be picking up a Liteon for the Safedisk.

Is the 708a 2 sheep?

You may want to update the June 2003 review of the Premium. Had I known it couldn’t back up all safedisk versions, I wouldn’t have purchased it.

excerpt from review

“Could back-up all SafeDisc 2 versions without weak sectors amplification”

before you get that LiteOn drive…update the Plextor Premium drive to fw 1.05 it updates the EFM to burn SD2.9 and 3.1!!!

also please use Blindwrite 4 or 5 to create a 1:1 backup…and if you have any problems please post in BW forum for quick to the minute help

Cool, so the Premium can do Safedisk 2.9 or 3.1 without emulation or weak sector amplification if using Blindwrite and latest FW?

I have been using 1.05 since it came out. Ill have to try blindwrte now.

PS

I head there is no EFM update in the firmware and that is just a rumor

that is correct i have done extensive testing with my two drives…Asus 5224a fw 1.1 and Plextor Premium fw 1.05

bW 4 or bW 5 can create a 1:1 without the need of Enhance Weaks Sectors

before the Plextor with fw 1.04 could not backup SD2.9 the latest firmware helps out!!

Originally posted by wakemonkeypimp
bW 4 or bW 5 can create a 1:1 without the need of Enhance Weaks Sectors

That is because BW 5 uses AUTOPLAY emulation! The copy is not a true 1:1 one!

DOH!! can you confirm this wakemonkeypimp

Originally posted by Venturer
That is because BW 5 uses AUTOPLAY emulation! The copy is not a true 1:1 one!

there is no true 1:1 back up anyway especially when it comes to safedisk protection as one of its protections is to check if the media is CD-R (via atip code…if the backup was tested in a writer you have to use a hide cdr media function)

by default bw5 uses emulation and you need the tweaker by R!co to change settings…but bw4 can be changed in the configuration settings…change that fw to 1.05

My Premium fw 1.05 and BW 4.5.7 couldn’t make a successful copy of a SD2.90.040 game without autoplay and enhance weak sectors :frowning:

Well SD2.9 and 3.1 only works with EWS and burning speed at 4x or 8x…

But only if you have v1.05 installed… with older this doesn’t work either.

But anyway why do all say that Plextor Premium is no 2-Sheep-Burner…? I mean indeed he is able to copy everything up to SD2.8 that would mean that he is a 2-Sheep burner because two sheep is identified higher than SD2.51 and that he can…
but he can’t copy SD2.9 and SD3.1 so you need to say that all who can copy SD2.9 and SD3.1 are3 sheep and the premium is one sheep.

But also it could be that the plextor premium will be able to copy SD2.9 and SD3.1 with the next firmware becuase the fw 1.05 has already improved writing this…

One other thing… there is no real SD2 burner like it had been identified one time (that he can backup every weak pattern) because no one can backup every weak pattern… Some toshiba was best here but still were not able to burn everything.

Here you see that Macrovision maybe is always working on defeating Plextor Drives… but I don’t understand why they don’t only put all weak patterns on it… because then no drive would be able to backup it…

Originally posted by ghost_zero5
[B]One other thing… there is no real SD2 burner like it had been identified one time (that he can backup every weak pattern) because no one can backup every weak pattern… Some toshiba was best here but still were not able to burn everything.

Here you see that Macrovision maybe is always working on defeating Plextor Drives… but I don’t understand why they don’t only put all weak patterns on it… because then no drive would be able to backup it… [/B]

But perhaps tweaking AWS/EWS/Bypass EFM algorithm helps to write correcly all weak patterns!

A AWS/EWS/Bypass EFM copy that works in all drives is still the same (a perfect one) of a copy made with a true 3 sheep burner: No emulation is required!!!

Ghost have you tried sheep test with updated sd 2.90 patterns?
Please refer to this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=497024#post497024

Jamos’ Premium can copy back new SD 2.90.dat while my can’t! :frowning:

only to it’s own plextor and to its lite-ons.

that’s nothing special… btw. I found out the patterns for this new .dat file so yes I tested it…

Btw. you should try to make instead of the sector count of 10 make a 1 there… then your premium can read this sd290.dat

Because he is possible to read over one of it like it is in SD2.9 but not over more.

Btw. that it gets better burnt at 4x or 8x is also proven on the look of an AWS copy with the Plextor premium because it works in the other drives then too…
But what is for sure: this was not able without v1.05… which means that writing weak sectors got improved… which means that it could be made possible to write sd2.9 without aws through a new firmware… and we may get lucky here too with one of the next firmwares.

Originally posted by ghost_zero5
[B]Btw. you should try to make instead of the sector count of 10 make a 1 there… then your premium can read this sd290.dat

Because he is possible to read over one of it like it is in SD2.9 but not over more.[/B]

What does this mean?
Can you explain better? :slight_smile:
What is sector count?
How can i modify it?
How can i do to read back sd2.90.dat made with my premium?

Thx

well first for your Pioneer DVD it probably won’t work without AWs.

And second as said you need to set sector count to one.

edit the SD290.bat file and change:
-dup=10 to -dup=1

then every weak sector will be written only once and for the problem pattern of SD2.9 for the premium it occurs only once (pattern is 3045 what I mean).

And if it occurs only once the Premium then can also read it…

I am going to try the sheep test. You have to write it in ISO mode 1 right?

Yes.

And as said if you have troubles with the dup=10

you should try dup=1

and look if it works better then… if so then you can only make copies as long as only one of the problematic sector… is on a SD2 game… which means for SD2.9 f.e. the problematic sector for the premium: the pattern 3045