Is Ecogeek/yahoo retarted?

Read this article
http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecogeek/232/7-technologies-that-will-save-the-earth-in-2008.html

Now yes, I really don’t care about all the other stuff in there but I do care about this:

CDs will die
Physical media are on the way out. Everyone realizes that there’s no good reason to have a CD instead of an MP3; they’re more expensive and less convenient.

And while other media (include books and movies) are going to have a longer road to obsolescence, everyone, including record companies and musicians, agree that CDs have gone the way of the 8 track.

I Could yell right now on how dumb this person is. CDs are never going to die! They’re CONVENIENT not inconvenient. They don’t take up a lot of space and they normally include more content then your average Music Subscription service. I mean they can be packed with DVDs full of music videos a crap. Extra track ext ext.

Also I really don’t agree with the “Small cars will win” cause in America, that all we care about. The bigger the better…

I would agree cds are going to be around for a long time yet, mp3’s are convenient for portable use as you don’t need to carry around cd’s, minidisc or tapes. There is a good reason to have CD’s instead of MP3’s the sound quality of a cd is better than a mp3.

Thing is though you will always get people with statements like that, someone probably said the same about vinyl when the cd first came out and we all know vinyl’s are still about.

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;1967406]I would agree cds are going to be around for a long time yet, mp3’s are convenient for portable use as you don’t need to carry around cd’s, minidisc or tapes. There is a good reason to have CD’s instead of MP3’s the sound quality of a cd is better than a mp3.

Thing is though you will always get people with statements like that, someone probably said the same about vinyl when the cd first came out and we all know vinyl’s are still about.[/QUOTE]Yea, I agree completely. Most EPs and artist put on vinyl for some reason. But as far as size goes, lets just ask our good friend Mr. Laserdisc.

NOW thats what I call convenient! Laserdisc wins!!! :bigsmile:

A 4GB microSD(HC) is smaller and ligher than a 12cm CD/DVD/Blu-ray/HD DVD disc. CD and DVD will survive but their marketshare will gradually diminish. For a few more years, their revenues as opposed to marketshare (out of the mobile multimedia storage media market) still have opportunities to grow.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;1969096]A 4GB microSD(HC) is smaller and ligher than a 12cm CD/DVD/Blu-ray/HD DVD disc.[/QUOTE]Possibly. But if a flash media goes bad, then all content is lost. From bad CDs or DVDs you are often able to recover at least a part of the data/music/whatever.

Flash based memory is still prohibitively expensive at sizes like HDDVD and Bluray can provide. Just look at the laptops you can get with things like 64gb solid state drives and allow your jaw to drop…can you imagine paying that for every 1 or 2 movies (you could probably fit two on it)? I mean, if you’re paying for the movie you want to keep it unless it’s a rental so for permanent storage like this, flash based memory is just too expensive…not to mention overwritable. The place for this type of memory is in portable devices where you want to change what’s on the device for new media quite often and in this case the media are sufficiently compressed (to something like mp4 in the case of video) to be able to fit a sensible amount on the drive.

Really is a stupid thing to say about CD. If they meant to suggest the optical storage is doomed, they should have mentioned FLAC or any other lossless format, not a bloody MP3 for an alternative. The deal is ppl who listen to Music, not RAP usually care more about quality and thus dont use noisy PCs or cheap earplugs and u can never force them to trade their beloved collection to one gigantic HDD, its just not the same. They will also tell u a retail CD always sounds better than burnt, despite all ur math formulas and proofs. Its not What u listen to its How u do it.

[QUOTE=FidelC;1971123]The deal is ppl who listen to Music, not RAP usually care more about quality and thus dont use noisy PCs or cheap earplugs and u can never force them to trade their beloved collection to one gigantic HDD, its just not the same. They will also tell u a retail CD always sounds better than burnt, despite all ur math formulas and proofs. Its not What u listen to its How u do it.[/QUOTE]Define music :confused:

[quote=Id33k;1967396]Read this article
http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecogeek/232/7-technologies-that-will-save-the-earth-in-2008.html

Now yes, I really don’t care about all the other stuff in there but I do care about this:

I Could yell right now on how dumb this person is. CDs are never going to die! They’re CONVENIENT not inconvenient.
[/quote]
Up to this point, I was laughing at the irony.

It’s nice to make a pertinent statement isn’t it ? :slight_smile:

[quote=Id33k;1967396]
Also I really don’t agree with the “Small cars will win” cause in America, that all we care about. The bigger the better…[/quote]
I do.
The first thing I noticed in the USA was that nearly every car was massively oversized to every other country in the world. Large cars chew up more resources to produce, chew up more resources to maintain, and (on average) will kill more people in accidents.

The single reason that a americans should buy large cars is for personal protection … solely because every other idiot on the road is driving a small truck, and is likely to drive right over the top of a small car, since they drive so badly.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;1971149]Define music :confused:[/QUOTE]

Wiki: “Music is an art form consisting of [U]sound and silence[/U]. Elements of sound in music are pitch (which governs [U]melody and harmony[/U]), [U]rhythm[/U] (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, structure, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture.”

All underlined words being the main defining elements of music are missing in RAP and thus music it is not. I understand I am being overly sarcastic here but if I were given a multiple choice on whether RAP is 1) music 2) talking 3)neither I would probably lean towards the end of the options. I didnt really want to make it personal but opinions vary. Cheers.