Is DVI cable needed?

I am new here and I am sorry if I post this at the wrong forum.

Here are my hardware:

[I]* Monitor: Samsung 2033sw (wide screen, 1600x900 max) which has DVI-D with HDCP support.

• Graphic card: NVIDIA 9500GT which has a female DVI-I port.[/I]

Currently I am using a VGA cable, the brightness of the screen is good for gaming. However when I tried to run a trailer of Step into Liquid the color just so normal (or I would say it’s awful).

My questions:

1. Do I need to purchase a DVI-D or Is there any setting need to be done to improve the graphic quality ?

2. Does my system support HD movies ?

Thank you for the help.

Yo-

Answer is yes use a good DVI cable for best results on your monitor and make sure that you are using the latest drivers for your video card-eh!!

Okey. I just “borrowed” a Single DVI-D cable from my lab :p.

[I]Off topic:[/I]

Is every bluray /dvd movies can be played on 16:9 screen resolution ? Because sometimes I see a black box on top and bottom of the video.

Thanks again.

I didn’t download that clip you are talking of but even with a VGA connection you should be able to view HD content.
I can view a BD-9 AVC-HD disc on my older PC using a VGA connection to a CRT monitor.

What media player did you try to use??
Have you tried using WMP 11 or MPC-HC?

But as BigMike states, you’d be better off utlizing that DVI connection. Meritline or Newegg has some decently priced cables… your Samsung didn’t come with a DVI cable?? Mine did.

Also, depending whether your graphics card has two DVI ports, if so you could use a DVI to HMDI cablew and connect your PC to an HDTV to get full blown HD experience…:wink:

I’ve tried to use VLC, Windows Media Player, Real Play and iTunes. My friend played an HD movie trailer (not the clip above) on his 6 years old laptop and able to see richness of the color (even it lags every few seconds).

Anyway, I just watched an HDRIP (size of 2.1 Gg) on my friend Macbook Pro, It’s crystal clear. I think I am gonna play the same file on my PC and see the difference.

Does the file size reflect the quality of the movie ?

Thanks

[quote=abiieez;2238418]I’ve tried to use VLC, Windows Media Player, Real Play and iTunes. My friend played an HD movie trailer (not the clip above) on his 6 years old laptop and able to see richness of the color (even it lags every few seconds).

Anyway, I just watched an HDRIP (size of 2.1 Gg) on my friend Macbook Pro, It’s crystal clear. I think I am gonna play the same file on my PC and see the difference.

Does the file size reflect the quality of the movie ?

Thanks[/quote]
if you use vlc player,then download FFDshow this works well with VLC its free you can get it at (afterdawn.com) it corrects some sound, out of sync
with picture problems

Here are my hardware:

• Monitor: Samsung 2033sw (wide screen, 1600x900 max) which has DVI-D with HDCP support.
  • Graphic card: NVIDIA 9500GT which has a female DVI-I port.

Have you matched the output of your vid card to the Samsung’s native resolution?