Is DVDFab the right choice?

Hello all,

This is my first post, please go easy on me. I’ve been doing research into ripping my entire movie collection to my NAS (which lead me to this fabulous forum) and I’m wondering if DVDFab is the right choice for me. Specifically, is DVDFab able to rip a DVD for the purposes of:

[ol]
[li]Backing the movie up to my NAS hard drive[/li][li]Creating an UNCOMPRESSED file of the movie for playing through my XBox 360 on my home theater from the aforementioned NAS hard drive[/li][li]AND creating a compressed file for both my Archos 605 and my iTouch?[/ol]Also, do I really need to create three or four separate files per DVD?[/li][ol]
[li]VOB files for backup[/li][li]MP4 files for Archos and iTouch (Compressed)[/li][li]Files for 360 (Uncompressed, or as little compression as possible)[/ol]There must be a better way of storing the DVD for my needs, but I’m just too green to see it. Perhaps someone knows a method for viewing VOB files on the 360, or creating only 1 compressed file for both players? The fewer files I have on the NAS the more room I have for my extensive movie collection.[/li]
To further complicate this scenario, I’m using the NAS and TwonkyVision to store and play my media across the network to my home theater, so using media player software that can view VOB files on my computer as the backend of the 360 isn’t feasible.

Help?!

[QUOTE=MightyGeekMan;1958249]

[ol]
[li]Backing the movie up to my NAS hard drive
[/li][li]Creating an [U][B]UNCOMPRESSED[/B][/U] file of the movie for playing through my XBox 360 on my home theater from the aforementioned NAS hard drive
[/li][li]AND creating a compressed file for both my Archos 605 and my iTouch?[/ol]Also, do I really need to create three or four separate files per DVD?
[/li][ol]
[li]VOB files for backup
[/li][li]MP4 files for Archos and iTouch (Compressed)
[/li][li]Files for 360 (Uncompressed, or as little compression as possible)[/ol]
[/li][/QUOTE]

Hi MightyGeekMan,

You are asking a pretty broad, multiprong question. I’m not the best qualified to answer this, but I’ll try to point you in the right direction. I use DVDfab regularly for making DVD-to-DVD backups. Fab is a great tool for this. I know it does support conversion to numerous mobile formats, but I have not personally used that capability. I’m pretty sure it will be able to support the Archos and iTouch, but you may need a custom template. Ask around on the forum if this turns out to be true, I’ve seen folks sharing tweaked templates.

You mention VOB files, but I presume you are aware that VOB files are not meant to stand alone, but as a part of a DVD structure that also includes IFO and BUP files. Sometimes, with some software, you can get usable playback of a standalone VOB, but don’t depend on it. For storage on your NAS, if you are targeting an HTPC and you want the DVD menus, I’d suggest storing full DVD layouts (VOBs, IFOs, and BUPs) either as separate files (each movie in a separate folder) or in an ISO (image) file. If you store them as ISOs, you will need a piece of software on the player PC to mount an ISO so it appears to Windows as a DVD, with a drive letter etc. If you don’t care about menus and extras, you can rip movie only to an AVI, using whatever codec you prefer (MPG, DivX, Xvid, etc). I don’t really know what the requirements of the XBox are, so I can’t be any help there.

One good way to maybe find out for yourself is to download the trial version of DVDfab Platinum. It is fully functional during the trial period (30 days I think). Try to produce all the formats you are interested in, and see how well it works for you. If you like the results, then buy it. There are links to the trial in this forum (one of the Read First threads).

I also suggest you use the Search function on this forum to look for some of the specific devices or file types you are interested in. Also, read thru the guides; there are several. Browse for threads dealing with similar issues. Finally, if you find no existing discussions addressing your questions, post as specific and tightly focused a question as you can. The more specific the question, especially if you are starting a new thread, the more likely knowledgeable folks will read it and give you a useful answer. If you start a thread with a very general name (as here), many people will not bother to read it.

I hope this helps!

[QUOTE=MightyGeekMan;1958249]
playing through my XBox 360 [/QUOTE]

windows media center video formats

* MPEG-1 with MPEG audio
* MPEG-2 with MPEG audio or AC-3 audio
* WMV 7, 8, & 9 with WMA Standard or WMA Pro audio
* WMV Image 1 & 2 (Photo Story 1, 2, & 3)

[li]AND creating a compressed file for both my Archos 605 [/li]

What type of video formats does the Archos 605 support?
MPEG-4 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution) With optional plug-ins:

• H.264 up to DVD resolution and AAC sound;
  • MPEG-2 MP@ML up to 10 Mbps (up to DVD resolution) and AC3 stereo sound;
  • VOB

and my iTouch?

Video
H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Also, do I really need to create three or four separate files per DVD?

There must be a better way of storing the DVD for my needs, but I’m just too green to see it. Perhaps [U]someone[/U] knows…

i am not [U]someone[/U], i did find the specs which i assume you already know.:stuck_out_tongue: but just in case just wanted to get that out there.:slight_smile:

looks like the mpeg4 is supported by archos and ipod. for backup dvd you will need to make .iso or video_ts folder.

Xbox 360 console Unsupported Codecs:

Name
FourCC

Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V3
MP43

Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2
MP42

Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
MP41

Windows Media Screen V9
MSS2

Windows Media Screen V7
MSS1

Windows Media Video 9 Image
WMVP

Windows Media Video 9 Image v2
WVP2

ISO MPEG-4 Video V1
MP4S

Anamorphic content with nonsquare pixels is currently unsupported on Xbox 360 console, and will be displayed as if the pixels were square. If you want to play such content on your console, it is recommended that you re-encode the content in a square pixel format.

but then again they say different

maybe
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/smartphone/default.mspx

troy