Is DVDFab faster under Windows 7?

vbimport

I have installed 8.1 QT on my old XP machine with no problem. It seems to work as well, although the source selection is a little different but that may be my crappy Toshiba laptop with a USB DVD drive. It has issues, but it works well to copy the VOBs to a hard drive for conversion to AVI on my much faster Windows 7 box.

It’s time to replace the hard drive on the Windows 7 machine (every year makes cheap insurance). Since it was a windows 7 upgrade. I am going to install XP test DVDFab to see how fast it converts a movie then upgrade to Windows 7 and redo the same movie. Any guess on which OS will be faster??? I’m more than a little curious to see how much 7 slows my computer down.

[QUOTE=Drum;2593868]

It’s time to replace the hard drive on the Windows 7 machine (every year makes cheap insurance). Since it was a windows 7 upgrade. I am going to install XP test DVDFab to see how fast it converts a movie then upgrade to Windows 7 and redo the same movie. Any guess on which OS will be faster??? I’m more than a little curious to see how much 7 slows my computer down.[/QUOTE]

I for one would also be interested in how well your machine does.Let us know it comes out. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Drum;2593868]I have installed 8.1 QT on my old XP machine with no problem. It seems to work as well, although the source selection is a little different but that may be my crappy Toshiba laptop with a USB DVD drive. It has issues, but it works well to copy the VOBs to a hard drive for conversion to AVI on my much faster Windows 7 box.

It’s time to replace the hard drive on the Windows 7 machine (every year makes cheap insurance). Since it was a windows 7 upgrade. I am going to install XP test DVDFab to see how fast it converts a movie then upgrade to Windows 7 and redo the same movie. Any guess on which OS will be faster??? I’m more than a little curious to see how much 7 slows my computer down.[/QUOTE]

I’m curious also! My 1 major criticism of XP is that I find it slow compared to Win 98. If 7 is slower…

If we believe the hype then Win 7 should be faster but it’ll be interesting to see if that’s the case.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Back to DVDFab 8.1 for a minute, I have noticed that when selecting the source (my external USB DVD drive) it rejects the disk as unreadable the first time and then it automatically pops up like it did previously with the region selection window and works fine. Not a big problem, just a very minor annoyance and may very well be my computer not DVDFab.

I very seriously doubt that Windows 7 is really faster than XP, although I have no proof at this point. I expect the major difference is the improved hardware rather than changes to the OS. Most people are getting 7 by purchasing new computers with much better hardware. For the most part I think 7 is better, but in some ways the original windows was better than the more recent versions, mostly in the increased reliance on the registry, rather than .ini files. Between this and all the new features I think users get robbed of a good portion of their investment in new hardware for features that are mostly useless. There are a lot of “Usability” features that are installed as a default that most of the poputation will never use and also cause problems with other software. It is a great option, but it seems like they are punishing everyone to save the few the trouble of installing the extra features they need. Unfortunately I think lawyers have a lot to do with this, probably as a direct result of the fines and penalties from the EU. It still amazes me the things Microsoft has been heavily fined for and Apple gets away with far worse.

I know a lot of people that honestly think MAC OS is 10,000 times better than windows, but MAC is designed to work on 3 or 4 different computers with very few options, Windows is designed to work on thousands of different configurations. That is the big difference to me, choice to make changes as I see fit. I could never purchase a device where I had to buy every piece of software from the manufacturer, or never upgrade, yet people praise Apple for it.

I have a few more hours while DVDFab completes it’s current batch then I can get started with the fun…

Yeah that was starting to stray off topic stuff in the other thread but there certainly seems to be a lot of interest in discussing this so I’ve given this it’s own thread. :flower:

I suppose the relevant question (which is the one I’m interested in) is whether the latest version of DVDFab is quicker under Windows XP or Windows 7.

I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, admittedly on pretty beefy hardware, but it would be nice to know if my choice of OS gives me a small speed increase with DVDFab as a result.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Well, so far I have tested 8.1.0.0 and 8.0.8.5 on XP and was surprised to find 8.0.8.5 to be a little faster. 1:09.50 for 8.0.8.5 and 1:14 for 8.1.0.0. Maybe 6% slower. I’ll test that again, but I am pretty sure about using the same settings. Although 8100 has a few more options.

Can someone explain the (2gb) on the profiles? I don;t remember seeing it in the changelog…

The differences between older and newer versions could be due to changes in the protection removal routines as I presume they have to tweak things to cope with new protection variants.

The Win 7/Win XP comparison for the same version would be the most interesting.

[B]Wombler[/B]