Is "DVD Shrink" Safe to Use?

I am in the process of attempting to back up a DVD. I already have the “Video_TS” file for the DVD I am trying to backup saved to my hard drive.

I am attempting to burn it to a blank dvd using “DVD Shrink”, V 3.2 which had been recommended to me by several sources. I downloaded it from a trusted source, but upon attempting to install it on my system however (Vista Home Premium), I got the following message from “Avast!”, my anti-virus program:

"You are opening an application that may be potentially unsafe. We strongly recommend opening this application in the virtual environment of the “Avast! sandbox. Any data that you save while in the sandbox will be lost when the sandbox is closed.”

First of all, in all my years of installing software on my system with “Avast!”, this is the first time I have received this message. I’m not quite sure what to make of it since “DVD Shrink” seems to have a good reputation.

Should I go ahead and continue to the installation anyway or is there another product that would be a better choice for me for my purpose? For that matter, why would I need to use a product that would “shrink” the backup copy to fit on a single DVD when the original file had already been on a single DVD?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The real/original DVD Shrink is safe, but it’s possible that you have downloaded a copy of DVD Shrink that has been infected with malware.

It’s also possible that your anti-virus program is falsely seeing this as malware even if it isn’t; this should never be your first guess, however.

Latest version of Avast introduced this feature that can be rather annoying.

Every software run for the first after avast installation is seen as a potential threat. If you already used that software then you are safe.

That message is similar to a message sent by a firewall when a software tries for the first time to access internet. Once you said Avast that software is safe, that message will be not shown again :slight_smile:

As of right now, the following page contains a link to the real/original DVD Shrink which is not infected with any malware:

Disclaimer: I cannot guarantee that any links I post will remain safe in the future.

[QUOTE=geno888;2598981]Latest version of Avast introduced this feature that can be rather annoying.

Every software run for the first after avast installation is seen as a potential threat. If you already used that software then you are safe.[/QUOTE] That may explain it.

Slightly off-topic:
In my opinion, any anti-malware solution that marks all downloaded programs as potential malware, is completely and utterly useless and needs to be replaced with a better anti-malware solution!

Why? Because people always end up ignoring the boy that’s always crying “wolf!” and then they are eaten if the wolf actually shows up.

I suggest getting this download of DVDShrink :
Look for the one that uses ImgBurn
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD_Shrink
I was written to use ImgBurn instead of DVDDecrypter.
I beleive you will also need to download the latest version of ImgBurn.
BTW DVDShrink doesn’t burn It uses one of the two programs above to burn.
You only need the ImgBurn version if you autoburn from DVDShrink. I always do this process seperately . So I haven’t tried it.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2598985]
In my opinion, any anti-malware solution that marks all downloaded programs as potential malware, is completely and utterly useless and needs to be replaced with a better anti-malware solution!

Why? Because people always end up ignoring the boy that’s always crying “wolf!” and then they are eaten if the wolf actually shows up.[/QUOTE]

I agree :iagree:
The first time this happened to me I almost panicked :o

Then I read carefully the message :doh: