Is DVD-RAM worth the trouble?

vbimport

I mean, it took me a while to find the right drivers (the Panasonic ones) then I had to hack them in order to make them compatible with XP64 and then update them. :rolleyes:

The media is still a bit expensive and in term of performance DVD-RAM disks may be safer and last longer, but they runs at X4 (which is actually about X2.4 for verification).

Loading the entire contents of a DVDRAM to hard disk took about 30 minutes and only to access the contents (the time it takes from inserting the disk and being able to read the contents) takes about 30 seconds. :doh:

Furthermore, these special DVD-RAM drivers cannot work alongside InCD nor DirectCD (packet writing)…as yet, I am not sure about the implications of that, but it looks rather limiting. What if one needs to access/write on old CD-RW/DVD-RW formatted with InCD? Also, I will have to remember to uninstall InCD when installing Nero…

I know packet writing stinks :a …but DVD-RAM as a viable alternative seems to have many limitations too.

Is DVD-RAM really worth the fuss?
I’ve only bought 5 DVD-RAM and I am not really sure. :confused:

[B]YES [/B] :iagree:

Hi,

DVD-RAM is excellent for daily backups of your work - documents and similar. Just copy the files onto the disc using your favourite file manager.

Furthermore, these special DVD-RAM drivers cannot work alongside InCD nor DirectCD (packet writing)…
Right, as these might interfere with the Panasonic driver.
Please keep in mind, that Windows XP has built-in support for DVD-RAM, but unfortunately only for FAT32, and that sucks. Panasonic’s drivers just add UDF capabilities. So does InCD, that might also be used with DVD-RAM.

What if one needs to access/write on old CD-RW/DVD-RW formatted with InCD?
This should work, normally. Also, it is not impossible, that data written on multisession discs are inaccessible even with InCD installed.
Also, I will have to remember to uninstall InCD when installing Nero…
Why? Just choose the components you need when installing Nero.

DVD-RAM as a viable alternative seems to have many limitations too.
DVD-RAM has advantages in being accessed as normal storage device without using additional software. It is excellent for backups of daily work. It is not good for backups of static data like video, music, software. In that case, DVD+/-R together with a burning application is the better option.

Is DVD-RAM really worth the fuss?
I’ve only bought 5 DVD-RAM and I am not really sure. :confused:
Yes, it is worth. And these 5 discs are normally enough for the job, DVD-RAM is best at.

Michael

After a month or so I am now able to draw a conclusion regarding DVDRAM.

I’ve lost data on two separate occasions:

Once when using VMWare I tried to access the DVDRAM drive to try to record some files. The guest OS was Ubuntu (Linux) and the host was Windows XP. When exiting VMWare and getting back into Windows I tryed to open the DVDRAM and the data where unreadable (it showed as RAW unformatted disk?)
I had to use specialized software to read and recover the data. That meant copying about 3Gb of files into HD…that took quite a while but all data has been recovered.

On another occasion, after reading some optimization tips. I decided to remove RAMASST.exe…I don’t like having processes in the background and according to many, that file isn’t really crucial for DVDRAM to work?!
Still now I am not sure what the issue was but when trying to delete some files from the DVDRAM the system crashed and I had to press the reset button.
Now all files seem to have gone and not even CDRoller seems to bring any real result.

:a Enough is enough. Time to ditch DVDRAM technology for good.
It is slow and unreliable…the real problem is unreliable UDF standards; but that doesn’t really matter.
I’ll sell my 5 DVDRAM on Ebay if anyone out there is so fond of it.

I really like DVD-RAM for incremental backups, certainly more than DVD-/+RW. Yeah copying a load of stuff at once is defintely time-consuming, but just adding stuff now and then isn’t much of a pain :iagree:

I had some stuff on a couple of RAM discs for about 1.5-2 years, never lost any data. Maybe I was just lucky.

Sorry you had bad experiences. :frowning:

Sorry but DVDRAM it doesn’t make sense anymore…it is simply too slow.
I’d rather set a small partition in my HD to use for incremental backups and do the occasional DVD+RW session to clear the partition.

Anyone interested in buying 5 brand new Panasonic DVDRAM disks?