Is DVD-RAM dead?

If the chipset doesn’t allow it there is NO chance for this.

A quick comparison, in order of importance (to me):
*Native drag-n-drop/ copy / paste (no crappy unreliable packet-writing software!).
*Selective erase/edits (like a HD/USB stick) without erasing a new disc and writing small changes to a disc in a “burning program”
*In-built verification of written data after it’s written
*Reliability - far more robust error correction/bad sector mapping, etc.

Longevity:

DVD-RAM = 100,000 rewrites*
DVD+RW = 1,000 rewrites (if you’re lucky)
I have used one Panasonic 3x disc for 2 years now daily in my LF-M621 (SW-9572) without ONE issue.

*at least that’s what’s claimed for cartridge media, I have heard 10,000 for bare media like the latest 16x and other bare 5x.

All in all, DVD-RAM is one of those RARE things that exceed my expectations on almost every level and make me glad to be a user of technology that puts the user first, quality first (but still at a VERY reasonable price), and not thrust some half-baked, overhyped, afterthought movie-industry format for the masses to save their data to. What it does it does exceedingly well and it looks like it will continue doing it for some time.

Yes, it IS a damn shame the cartridge is going the way of the dodo in new formats, and current DVD-RAM, too. Dust, fingerprints, susceptibility to damage with poor handling, etc. Awful…

How well does DVD-RAM handle dust, fingerprints, & scratches? Can they be cleaned too?

DVD-RAM is hard-sectored, kinda like harddisks are.

Maybe so, but personally i have too many dvd players - none support RAM and i don’t play on buying any more video players / burners until Blue Laser drives come out.

My drive is a Panasonic ‘old school’ drive and uses cartridge media. I have never had a scratch on any disc since they are all in cartridges, so I couldn’t tell you.

Cartridged DVD-RAM discs can be taken out of their cartridge but I’ve never gotten to the point of scratching one. I would expect them to be the same as regular DVDs as far as scratching goes since I don’t think they are using some hard coating different to regular DVDs. What is different is the construction and recording materials used on DVD-RAM discs (and the way the disc is written), which is totally different to RW, resulting in the more reliable rewrite figures I mentioned earlier.

They also look unmistakably different in that you can see ‘dots’ or markings on the DVD-RAM disc. They are aliens in the DVD world.

http://www.ramprg.com is the body used to promote DVD-RAM and there’s some more info there.

DVD-RAM has reallocation areas though for when it can’t write on some “error-prone” failing or dirty areas, and it rewrites the disc over and over to refresh some older data.

I have a standalone recorder that supports dvd-ram, but this is not meant to play dvd movies, only recordings. It won’t play a movie copied to dvd-ram.
There is no point to using dvd-ram for this purpose, as you can easily use a much cheaper dvd+r or -r, or if you want to use rewritable media, a +/-rw.
Having a writer that supports dvd-ram, does not mean you HAVE to use that format.